Sore Chest

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lonsdale73

Established Member
Reaction score
Waking up with aches and pains is nothing new however this morning my chest was feeling particularly tender. Of all the tools in a workshop capable of inflicting an injury I have to say a sander wasn't top of my risk list. Yesterday, mine flew upwards, out of my grip and slammed into my chest. Wouldn't have altered my looks much but I suppose it could have been worse if it had slammed into my face. Two positives are it didn't and I won't underestimate the potential of anything in the workshop to cause harm. And the sander is so solidly built it hasn't been damaged either!

Sorry to read that fella, wish you well.

I have to ask, how did it happen? Was it a belt or orbital sander?

Sorry to hear that. Get well soon

I had the same logic - sander is really safe relatively - and let my kids do some sanding on garden furniture.

It was an old axi orbital. Great sander. The kids were using it and it literally exploded!! Bits - cast metal alloyband plastic bits - went flying everywhere. Thank god, nothing hit their eyes or face.

Now I only let them near tools with strong adult goggles and a face mask. The potential damage is not worth it.

That was my lesson learned.

I can only imagine that there were some cracks in the internal spinning alloy parts, which finally gave way, smashing into the surrounding plastic casing.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Roland":o2qvuf8u said:
and there was me thinking you’d been sanding yew or wenge without a mask

Often been said I should wear a mask more often but that has pipper all to do with personal safety in the workshop. No, not yew, it was me and apparently I'm even more toxic!

Lonsdale73":c7u79jib said:
OscarG":c7u79jib said:
Was it a belt or orbital sander?

Orbital. TBH it's just another ache to the collection and I'm as 'fine' as I was before the incident. Thanks all the same.

Wow, really surprised it's an orbital, I was expecting it to be a belt.

So how did an orbital hit you? Did it come apart like someone else posted?

OscarG":1jbt80ev said:
Lonsdale73":1jbt80ev said:
OscarG":1jbt80ev said:
Was it a belt or orbital sander?

Orbital. TBH it's just another ache to the collection and I'm as 'fine' as I was before the incident. Thanks all the same.

Wow, really surprised it's an orbital, I was expecting it to be a belt.

So how did an orbital hit you? Did it come apart like someone else posted?

I think it brushed against one of the perpindicular side pieces and flew off it like a spinning top

You may be fine Lonsdale73 (good) but it still sounds painful.

Only problem I've had with a ROS (so far!) is if I start it before it's fully down on the job and at the same time not holding the handle properly.

Glad you're OK. The other similar post about a ROS "falling to pieces" while in work sounds nasty.

Back