Sorby Tool Identification

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scooby

Established Member
Reaction score
A few weeks ago, I bought a job lot of tools. I only really wanted specific items but he wanted to sell as lots so I ended with some stuff I won't use.
I'm probably going to put the surplus items on eBay but I'm unsure what these Sorby actually are, so any advice/info would be appreciated. They look a bit too dainty/delicate to be used on a lathe but again, I'm not sure.

I think I did ok out of the deal, the main items I wanted where Sorby 1 1/4" & 3/4" Roughing Gouges, Sorby 1/2" bowl gouge (all barely used) , a few home made scrapers, a load of callipers and dividers, 778 rebate plane and a 71 router plane.

Attachments

• sorby.jpg
    sorby.jpg
    149.7 KB · Views: 34
They're turning chisels - no scale shown but I guess for smaller work from left two roughing or other use gouges, a parting tool and a scraper - what other info needed?

Thanks for the replies. I thought they were turning tools but wasn't sure due to the size, I've only been into turning since last year and the only tools I've owned and seen are much bigger.
Really, I didn't want to advertise them on eBay and potentially have someone injure themselves because of my bad information.
Dannyr, I forgot to mention the sizes. Handles are 10" long and blades are around 5-6".

Again, thank you. Much appreciated.

I wouldn't touch a scraper made from a file. The scrapers are made from steel somewhere between 8-10mm, the guy did a good making them. I'm in the process of making them negative rake, and its taking a while. I have a feeling they maybe carbon steel as the sparks look different to the HSS scraper I made.
His handles are way better than mine .

Back