Sorby Ring gouge

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Democritus

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Hi Guys
I’ve been offered a Sorby ring gouge (not captive ring tool). Does anyone have any experience with this for hollowing?
I can’t find it listed on the Sorby website, so I’m assuming it’s been discontinued. If it has been, it’s a bit ominous.
Best wishes
D.

The ring tool works Ok but if you get a catch then it really catches. The more recent variants like the crown tool have a chip limiter so easier to use. I would save your money and but a carbide tipped tool like the ones from Simon Hope or Crown

I got one with the lathe I bought when I very first started turning.

My findings echo the post above. I don't really use it any more, I hollow with my gouges.

Id
Hi Guys
I’ve been offered a Sorby ring gouge (not captive ring tool). Does anyone have any experience with this for hollowing?
I can’t find it listed on the Sorby website, so I’m assuming it’s been discontinued. If it has been, it’s a bit ominous.
Best wishes
D.
Love to try one of those, it's on my list....

Hi Guys
Best wishes
D.

If you go on you tube and search Paul Hannaby, (the AWGB Chair), his video called "Turn a wooden goblet" demonstrates its use really clearly. It's at about 20 mins in, but worth watching from the start.
HTH
Greg

Hi Guys,
Thanks for the info. It is the one Sneggysteve referred to, and that Suffolkboy and Hornbean have used. Judging from their experience and Phil’s input, it would seem to point to Sorby discontinuing it because turners didn’t like it.
I think I’ll give it a miss, and stick to my gouges.
Cheers, lads
D.

I was given one of those 'Ring' tools about 25 odd years ago. I suppose that they were new then.

I did use it with some purpose, but I came to the conclusion that it was an extremely good tool if you could coincide turning along a neat end-grain, with minimal growth variations giving varying hardness - in other words a completely docile piece of wood with no features. Add to that the fact that it was a pig to sharpen........

I think that it was an interesting experiment in what was effectively de-skilling process for bowl turning, but not for turning wood with features that needs inherent skill and gouge control.

I think that I still have it somewhere........ Flea-bay?

My favourite video (5min 25s) of Antti Sorvamaa turning an off centre goblet using the ring tool.
-
The same goblet (but later video) from another angle (2min 21s)
-
There was an even earlier video (which no longer seems to be available) where his technique is near perfect & he hollows the goblet in 5 cuts.

My favourite video (5min 25s) of Antti Sorvamaa turning an off centre goblet using the ring tool.
-
The same goblet (but later video) from another angle (2min 21s)
-
There was an even earlier video (which no longer seems to be available) where his technique is near perfect & he hollows the goblet in 5 cuts.

Great stuff, one of these tools is deffo on my list.....................

Adam,
Good luck with that, mate. It looks as though a catch could be lethal. It was obviously discontinued by Sorby for good reasons.
D.
More likely it was discontinued because they sold all their stock & sales didn't make it profitable to start a new production run.
A catch with a ring tool can take the head off the shaft as happened at our club whilst it was being demonstrated by a professional turner.

Back