Sorby Pro Edge Coarse Belts

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a few tools where I want to completely regrind the profile, removing lots of material. For example turning an old Skew into a round nose negative rake scraper.

In the past I just used the Ceramic 60grit belt, but it takes forever! ... so I did a little searching to see if I could find an even coarser grit.

Came across these : ABRASIVE SANDING BELT 50mm x 786mm -Various Grits - Zirconia, Ceramic - UK | eBay

Ceramic belts that appear to be the right size in 24, 36, 40, 60, 80, 100 and 120 grits.

I'm thinking of trying the 36 grit. Anyone tried them?

I use 40g ceramic on occasion for serious reshaping, any of the lower grits should work well although the lower the grit you use the more time you'll then spend on the next grits up to refine the grind I guess ?!!

Please report back if you buy one as I'd be interested too. Not sure where you are in Suffolk but we could share a pack?

Please report back if you buy one as I'd be interested too. Not sure where you are in Suffolk but we could share a pack?

I'm in Beckrow. I'm happy to give you one from the pack of 3 (£7), but probably not worth the drive to get here :D

Last edited:
Are you sure that the belt length of 786mm is correct?
Heritage Abrasives have a separate entry for ProEdge belts:
Heritage Abrasives Ltd - Polishing Mops - Abrasive Belts - Polishing Compoundhttps://www.heritageabrasives.co.uk/product/sorby-pro-edge-sanding-belt-ceramic
I've had some belts in the past from BND Abrasives and they quoted 50 x 780mm - and fitted fine.
I'm not ready to cut one up to check, so can't confirm measurements myself.
Duncan

Thanks for that link, I'll use that instead, just to be safe. I've order a pack of 3, Ceramic, 36grit. Will report back :)

Last edited:
That'd be good TA, I've had the same problem regrinding with 60 grit. I have one of those not-so-sharp cleavers that I want to convert into a sharp one, 60 grit would definitely take ages.

Below 60 grit belts really hog but the particles are quite big so you need more speed and motor hp to get them cutting well. Run them full speed and lean in to keep the pressure up on ceramics they need it or will dull quicker (higher pressure fractures grit keeping it sharp and cutting so the theory says).

you also need a lead in angle for the bevel so the steel doesn’t hit the belt at 90 degrees- it’ll knock the grit off and you’ll feel like you’re having a shower. Use an older belt to start the new bevel then follow up on 36.

also don’tgo all the way to the edge, stop before and then finish on 60 grit. 36 scratches right at the edge waste a fair amount of steel smoothing out.

benefit is speed and if the belt is running fast enough and the pressure high enough they cut relatively cool. Seems inverse to logic but the heat is carried away in the sparks and the belt is cutting more than rubbing.

watch your fingers though, they take no prisoners and gloves are a no no for me with anything spinning.
Also goggles + mask are a must. The grit is inorganic so the worst thing to be getting in your lungs and stuff in eyes is just bad no matter what it is.

Back