Sorby plough plane

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billybuntus

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello,

Could anybody tell me anything about this plane? Can't find anything on the internet about it.

DSC_0070.jpg

DSC_0072.jpg

DSC_0073.jpg

DSC_0075.jpg

DSC_0077.jpg

DSC_0078.jpg

Thanks

Stunning plough plane from a very respected maker...Isaac Sorby. The "Punch" trademark was introduced in the late 1800s....around 1870 if I remember correctly....but the history of Sorby is very confused....there were loads of family trees compounded by the fact they all seemed to make tools or cutlery!

I think that this is the trade mark moved over to Turner, Naylor and Marples...so yours could be anywhere between the end of the Victorian era and early Edwardian period up to 1920...though I suspect this fine example is around the turn of the century.

Screw type fence adjustment is more sought after than the simple wedge arrangement and generally it is best to keep the irons that came with your tool together with the tool as they are matched. Don't try to flatten the backs...they have a natural arc which forms part of the locking of the iron onto the sled using the wedge for pressure. Sharpen only with one bevel too. A secondary bevel is not used and will affect the performance.

The sled is particularly nice...the curve at the end is lovely!

I would use a light coating of boiled linseed oil on it and then repeat every so often to feed the wood. Don't soak it in linseed oil...this is not required.

Lovely plane... =D>

Jim

Like they said - and please don't be tempted to spoil the look of the brass by polishing it.

Thanks for the info :)

Its my uncles and he's looking to sell it as its just gathering dust. It came from the previous joiner who used to live in his house before he bought it (46 years ago). He found it with some other 'gear' in the cellar.

The uncle in question is also a joiner. Its a wonderful looking plane.

Buy it from your uncle...ask for the "Family discount"...it appears to be a keeper

Latest posts

Back