Sorby patriot chuck jaw slides

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

duncanh

Established Member
Reaction score
Is it possible to remove the jaw slides on the Patriot chuck? Or at least increase the amount which they will open?

This could be done easily on the Nova chucks which I also have but there doesn't seem to be an obvious way on the Patriot.

I know there are safety implications, but I want to hold an aluminium bottle in the chuck whilst I do some work on one end of it and my jaws are about 2mm too narrow. The lathe will be turned by hand or very low speed.
I could make some wooden jaws and mount them to the slides but it's a lot of work for what would otherwise be a very quick job.
I could also make a glue chuck or a jam chuck

Also, removing the slides would allow for maintenance such as removing dirt build up in the chuck

Hi

I'm guessing that here is a roll pin blocking one of the chuck slides, pull this out and you'll be able to open the jaws to the point of removal. Be very careful when operating the chuck outside of it's design limits.

Regards Mick

I think its down the scroll within the chuck is designed to stop against one of the jaws when its been opened to its design limit
on my chucks one jaw goes solid when opened up fully the 3 others still wobble slightly

to remove the jaw slides you open up the chuck from behind and remove the key gears the the scroll comes out then the slides will slide out

ian

Latest posts

Back