Quantcast

Sorby ferrules

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

condeesteso

Established Member
Reaction score
I just acquired a selection of these, various sizes - and thought I would report. I followed the Ashley Isles ferrule thread recently - I would happily have got those anyway but thought I'd give these a try. I ordered 4 sizes: 9/16" - 4 off; 3/4" - 4 off; 7/8" 6 off; 1" - 4 off. Prices were very fair I think (direct from Sorby, info below) ranging from about 45p for the smallest to about £1.25 for the 1". Basically 20 ferrules including shipping about £15.
Gauges are 21 for all the sizes I got except the 1" which is a meaty 16 gauge. I measure those at about 0.7mm and about 1.3mm.
I have used one fo the 3/4 ones already, finishing a new handle for a skew:
f1.jpg

Jumps made the handle by the way, the original was loose-fitting. It's made from benchwood (I've heard it called ash sometimes).
Anyway, the ferrules: very good I think, maybe it would be nice if the 7/8 was a bit heavier gauge, but for the 2 smaller sizes I imagine 21 gauge is ample, and the one inch is truly chunky.
I noted the dink on the one inch ones - odd as I would expect that to be applied after fitting. The rest are plain, no dinks.
f2.jpg

I dealt directly with Lindsay there on 0114 2250700, and she took card payment over the phone. They arrived 2 days later. It's actually quicker buying this way than online I find, given the tortuous form-filling some sites require.
So far I think they look great, will do the job well - and an excellent efficient service from Sorby.

Attachments

Doug B

Shy Tot
Reaction score
They look identical to the Ashley Iles ones I have used before, including the dink.

I usually get them at woodworking shows AI are standing at, they have always thrown the ferrules in free if I`ve bought un-handled chisels.

Cheers.

Phil Pascoe

occasional purveyor of blunt tools.
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
If you want something a little decorative, you can use brass nuts off redundant 15mm plumbing compression fittings. Fit them on the lathe , and knock any roughness and makers marks off while you can still spin it- polish them and they look good.

Harbo

Established Member
Reaction score
I generally buy mine from AI at Yandles.
Another show in a few weeks :)

Rod

No skills

Established Member
Reaction score
phil.p":30k799zl said:
If you want something a little decorative, you can use brass nuts off redundant 15mm plumbing compression fittings. Fit them on the lathe , and knock any roughness and makers marks off while you can still spin it- polish them and they look good.

Dont spose you have a picture of one like this Phil?

Latest posts