Sometimes EBay is a right pain in the proverbial...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cambournepete

Established Member
Reaction score
<rant>
I want to sell the box my iPhone 4 came in as its no use to me.
I list it just like many others for eBay to remove the listing whining about "brand protection". They've done it twice.
Apparently they don't like you trying to sell packaging without the contents as it might promote fraud or the selling of counterfeit goods. I do kind of understand they're argumnet but there are loads of people selling iPhone boxes. I sold my iPhone 3 box there a while ago and only last week sold a box for an HTC Legend and a Fossil watch tin.

I just wish they were consistent and removed all such listings, then at least I would feel quite so paranoid.
</rant>

I feel a little better for that :)

Eric The Viking":31j4ud89 said:
I've got some kit to sell. I worked out that eBay and PayPal together would take 17-19% of the 'hammer value'.
Thus I'm not using them.
E.
I pay 10% eBay + 4.5% PayPal plus a very small listing fee. Local auction house take at least 18% +VAT. eBay has millions of potential buyers, auction house has a few dozen. I always get a much better price on eBay than I could hope for at the real auction.

RogerP":2qt8rn54 said:
Eric The Viking":2qt8rn54 said:
I've got some kit to sell. I worked out that eBay and PayPal together would take 17-19% of the 'hammer value'.
Thus I'm not using them.
E.
I pay 10% eBay + 4.5% PayPal plus a very small listing fee. Local auction house take at least 18% +VAT. eBay has millions of potential buyers, auction house has a few dozen. I always get a much better price on eBay than I could hope for at the real auction.
Roger

eBay take 10% of hammer price and charge a listing fee, PayPal take a maximum 3.4% + 20p.

Stew

DIY Stew":259ebutu said:
RogerP":259ebutu said:
Eric The Viking":259ebutu said:
Thus I'm not using them.
E.
Roger
eBay take 10% of hammer price and charge a listing fee, PayPal take a maximum 3.4% + 20p.
Stew
Yes, you're quite right. I always allow 15% overall which works out near enough. I seen the costs rise a lot over the 12 years I've been selling but it's still the place to get the highest prices - especially if one sells worldwide. I sell mostly vintage/antique cameras and lenses and a great many these days are going to the far east.

Does anybody remember the ebay scammer on Judge Judy? She used 'clever wording' to sell a photo of 2 top-of-the-range phones. Sold for about $500.

Another one sold an X-Box box. I think at the time X-Boxes were sold out in all the shops so he was paid more than shop price!!

I know that cambournepete isn't up to any of those shenanigans but I support ebay in removing such listings.

It's definitely 'buyer-beware' on ebay or anywhere else. I just bought a cheap £500 car. Didn't HPI it #-o . Seemed genuine and the V5 showed nothing untoward. Turned out to be an insurance write-off in 2008. DVLA refused me a log book till it's been for a VIC, and then the new V5 will show it's been in a smash. Goes in Wednesday.

Roy

My advice regarding buying on eBay is read very carefully the sellers description, especially note what the seller HAS NOT said, check feedback only as seller and remember there are very things in life free! If it seems to good to be true then it probably ain't!

How that helps.

Stew

Finally took the plunge and cancelled my PayPal Account.
Sick of the deductions from my bank account whenever I buy or sell on eBay. Sometimes it's better to just buy from local advertising papers. Or boot fairs.

If I should need to send/receive monies to/from any member of the Forum, then it will be postal orders, cheque or direct transfer. (Or crinkly stuff of course!) :D

Benchwayze":1aw152cc said:
Finally took the plunge and cancelled my PayPal Account.
Sick of the deductions from my bank account whenever I buy or sell on eBay. Sometimes it's better to just buy from local advertising papers. Or boot fairs.
If I should need to send/receive monies to/from any member of the Forum, then it will be postal orders, cheque or direct transfer. (Or crinkly stuff of course!) :D
Surely the deductions when you buy are only the cost of the goods you've bought and you could debit to a CC instead if you want - the option is on the PayPal page each time you buy. If you sell then when you "withdraw" to your bank account will be credited the full amount. If you are charged a percentage on sales on eBay (or anywhere) that's just the same as any auction (less actually) or cost of paper advertising. Sending cheques or PO by mail is quite expensive now and PO's aren't cheap either.

Guess that's why I ain't in business Roger! :mrgreen: I prefer cash really, but such is life... :wink:

TBH, Roger, I made far more profit on second-hand goods by selling through Amazon Marketplace. Even after the deduction of 'commission'. :)

Benchwayze":3w1ip3q5 said:
Guess that's why I ain't in business Roger! :mrgreen: I prefer cash really, but such is life... :wink:
TBH, Roger, I made far more profit on second-hand goods by selling through Amazon Marketplace. Even after the deduction of 'commission'. :)
I've used Amazon but they took even more commission than eBay. The way for cash is car-booting - if you can spare a day, loading/unloading twice plus cost fuel there and back - I'd rather sit on me bum and sell through eBay :)

I think you are right Roger tbh.
I can spare the time okay, but standing around all day, unless it's fine, wouldn't do me much good.
I'd have to take an old car seat and a portable gazebo! :D

Latest posts

Back