Something small to show future employers...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thomaskennedy

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I am wanting to make some sort of small unit that shows as many skills as possible, with a good design and good wood choices...

I will use this to take to interviews at cabinet makers etc. to try get a part time job there...

The only thing my mind can produce is a jewellery box, but to be honest it seems a bit common for this sort of application, therefore it would have to be an elaborate design to compensate...

Has anyone got any other ideas that could be used?

Ta

Tom

Tom,

I suggest a tool box. Such a thing is used by a number of institutions that train woodworkers (like the North Benet Street School in the USA http://www.nbss.org/about/index.asp for a student project. Jim Tolpin's Toolbox book shows how they can range fromm simple to complex - and it will be useful, come what may.

Alternatively, how about a timber samples box, along the lines of the late Graham Laird's?

samplesbox.jpg

Image from GWW issue #64, December 1997

He used dovetails for the corners on one side and mitres on the other, dovetailed drawers, some inlay in the ends etc. The idea was to be able to say to his clients "this is what wood X looks like, this is what joint Y is" and so forth, but something similar would work equally well as a showcase for your workmanship. Just a thought.

Cheers, Alf

Who intends to make one herself - one day... :roll:

I think Alf's suggestion is good, but...

I would cut the cabinet in half i.e. one door one draw, redesign the carrying handle to a more modern design ( I know the one shown is steam bent) and for samples, I am quite sure a lot of people on here would donate samples for you to show free of charge.

Chris I could not open up your link

cheers

Tom..

ever considered making an auld fashioned writing box..??? loads of potential there to demonstrate a broad skill set...

Tom

TBH if you apply for a job in a joiners shop, they expect you to be able to do the job!
You should'nt need proof, your word should be good enough.
If you can't hack it they'll fire you!

Cheers
Steve

Sawdust Producer":15qac6bn said:
I think Alf's suggestion is good, but...
Ah, it was just a jumping off point. Depends a lot on what Tom feels comfortable doing really.

Sawdust Producer":15qac6bn said:
redesign the carrying handle to a more modern design ( I know the one shown is steam bent)
Laminated, apparently.

Cheers, Alf

Tom

Any of the ideas here would be good but i think Alf's last point is pretty important, don't stretch yourself too far.

I accept that I am only guessing here but you may find it better not to be too over ambitious. If you feel a little uncomfortable with the idea of a complex hardwood project that you have never attempted before, then it might be better to make something that is a little simpler (possibly something you have made before) than a full blown multi-draw tool box or sample box and make it really well. possibly add a few flash touches to it?

I would have thought that very good joinery and a little imagination would go along way and a complex and difficult project may not be necessary

Alf-I love that! :D Thats a clever little idea!! I may be tempted to swing for something on those lines but a little different in design maybe like SDP suggests!

I'm happy to spend quite a while on it because it will be done after my exams in May/June :? and i will have a few 'spare' months to play in the WS!! Until then though i have to shut up shop...Revision and all that :evil:

Ta

Tom-Who seems to be spending all his time on schoolwork :x

Latest posts

Back