Something new

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul Hannaby

Established Member
Reaction score
Well it's new for me anyway! I got some pewter and a melting pot for Christmas and here's my first couple of attempts with it. The first bowl is purpleheart, with a cast pewter rim, the second one I think is Tasmanian blackwood with a cast rim and foot.

purpleheart-pewter-bowl.jpg

tasmanian-blackwood-pewter-bowl.jpg

Comments welcome

Attachments

• purpleheart-pewter-bowl.jpg
    purpleheart-pewter-bowl.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 889
  • tasmanian-blackwood-pewter-bowl.jpg
    tasmanian-blackwood-pewter-bowl.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 844
I like them both as the pewter seems to complement the wood and form ie it's all in scale and the colours work!

Now youv'e done it, just prompted me to sort out the order details I have saved in the 'to do' lists.

I too like the contrasts and the formal application of the pewter as a trim.

Hi Mark,
I cast the rims and foot using a scrap piece of wood. I mounted the scrap wood on the lathe and turned a slot, which was then filled with pewter. Remounting the wood with pewter rim on the lathe allowed it to be turned so it could be attached to the bowl.

I'm planning on trying a few more things with this such as lid inserts for boxes and finials.

Paul Hannaby":1tdcj3f9 said:
Hi Mark,
I cast the rims and foot using a scrap piece of wood. I mounted the scrap wood on the lathe and turned a slot, which was then filled with pewter. Remounting the wood with pewter rim on the lathe allowed it to be turned so it could be attached to the bowl.

I'm planning on trying a few more things with this such as lid inserts for boxes and finials.

so you turn the cast pewter to tidy up and resize as if it were wood?

very nice by the way =D>

Very nice piece Paul
Great contrast, some added sale value there.
Looks stunning with African black wood also.

Something I have had my mind on for a while, planned to smelt on the cooker when she is out :D
But struggled to find a supply of Pewter at the right price and planned to do the car boots boot never got around to it.
I know the old real Pewter has some nasty lead content but I don't plan to lick it :roll:
Also considered just tin which is the main constituent of pewter of course, as it requires the least energy of most metals to bring to molten state although temperature is similar, it just melts quicker so there is less chance of her catching me!
Just gets but not to sure what it turns like or if tin has any hazards. But its certainly food safe :D
I know the old real Pewter has some nasty lead content.

Enjoying playing with the Jo Sonja's iridescent Colors by the way, thanks.

Tony

Hello,

Simple and beautiful works. What is their size? They look smallish to me, a few centimetres in diameter. That is a wise precaution against the problems induced by wood movement. What kind of adhesive did you use to hold the metal in its place?

Have a nice day,

János

I go along with the comments and really like what you have done.

You make the pewter work sound so easy ..... Not convinced.

How about doing a Work in Progress (WIP) to really understand how you have brought he elements together. I for one would be very interested

The pewter was glued to the wood using medium thickness CA glue. It's relatively easy to turn the pewter using basic woodturning tools. I used a combination of round and flat scrapers for the bulk of it.
I found sanding the pewter tended to clog the abrasive but it still improved the finish. I used a metal polish as the final process on the pewter and then coated with renaissance wax.

Back