Something for the weekend.....

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They're great aren't they, I think this is stack no.5 for me. I built one a while back with birch and it was the most fragrant piece of garden sculpture that I have come across.

Here it is in progress......

stack.jpg

I wish I had the patience but I have to cut and bring mine home too. Here is the ugly end of the scale. Mostly sweet chestnut, some oak and a fair amount of cherry collected so far this year. I try to just bring home the standing dead or wind fallen. All the cherry has come down in the wind.

Attachments

• firewood1.JPG
    firewood1.JPG
    257 KB · Views: 50
  • firewood2.JPG
    firewood2.JPG
    337.1 KB · Views: 54
  • firewood3.JPG
    firewood3.JPG
    349.2 KB · Views: 54
The birch one above was cut, transported and stacked by yours truly.

This is the first time I've had firewood delivered and I may make a habit of it, it's just so much less work.

I leave all of mine at 70-75cm and up to 20cm in diameter, I'm glad I don't have to split it, it is quite heavy at those sizes, I'm not sure I'd want to carry it up steps.

It's all ours. 6 acres of woods and 5 of grass. And far too much to do. It's the whole hamlet, disused since the 80's, 3 owners and they would only sell all or nothing. The woods in the 3rd are not ours, but similar, very steep and difficult to remove the timber without a tractor and associated tools. We only have the landy. That's hectares, not acres. so about 25 acres.

Hopefully I'll be finished pulling out the firewood next week and hope to get the sawmill out for a bit of light milling on Wednesday.

I've made a dent in the load and I'm now down to the larger stems where I'll select what goes for boards and framing timber. Hopefully I'll get enough to start framing the double garage.....Next years little project.

What's left as of today......

FullSizeRender.jpg

Hopefully I'll be finished pulling out the firewood next week and hope to get the sawmill out for a bit of light milling on Wednesday.

I've made a dent in the load and I'm now down to the larger stems where I'll select what goes for boards and framing timber. Hopefully I'll get enough to start framing the double garage.....Next years little project.

View attachment 133313
Larch??

They're great aren't they, I think this is stack no.5 for me. I built one a while back with birch and it was the most fragrant piece of garden sculpture that I have come across.

Here it is in progress......

View attachment 133304
I might have missed this but is it a holzhausen wood stack? I researched this before buying our log boiler in 2008 but couldn't work out how they work on the north facing sector?

Mainly oak and a bit of beech left.

I might have missed this but is it a holzhausen wood stack? I researched this before buying our log boiler in 2008 but couldn't work out how they work on the north facing sector?
Yes, I guess it is. The wind does all the work, so it's best stick it in a breezy place.

Amazingly, the wind whistles through a 4m thick drum of wood and dries the firewood beautifully.

Mainly oak and a bit of beech left.

Yes, I guess it is. The wind does all the work, so it's best stick it in a breezy place.

Amazingly, the wind whistles through a 4m thick drum of wood and dries the firewood beautifully.
Do you put a roof on it? Tin???

Yes it gets a roof. The last one had a turf roof, but it was a git to take down....It looked pretty amazing and very shaggy in the end.

This one is having a tarp weighed down with wood. I might build a permanent oak frame around it and tile it, then I can just take the wood off the stack and burn it instead of re-stacking it in bays.

Looks like oak to me
Yes it gets a roof. The last one had a turf roof, but it was a git to take down....It looked pretty amazing and very shaggy in the end.

This one is having a tarp weighed down with wood. I might build a permanent oak frame around it and tile it, then I can just take the wood off the stack and burn it instead of re-stacking it in bays.
with a decent froe you could make some oak shingles

Could you not build a top hat out of synthetic tiles you can lift to remove logs?

View attachment 133313
How do you move pieces that big? That is my biggest problem. I have to cut it up whee it falls.

These ones are destined for the mill and weigh a hundred kilos or more each, so I pick them up with a chain winch hung from an aluminium gantry. It has a trolley on it so I can pick it up off the stack and push it towards the mill and lower it onto the bed with ease.

The mill bed is aluminium and I position it in front of the stack for processing.

Smaller ones up to a foot or so in diameter get loaded onto a carpet trolley which has pneumatic tires and I can push it along to the foot of the stack where I cut it up. No good for forest work, so it's a case of fell and split in the woods. If I'm on a slope or in a coppice I skid it out to the truck.

I wish I had the patience but I have to cut and bring mine home too. Here is the ugly end of the scale. Mostly sweet chestnut, some oak and a fair amount of cherry collected so far this year. I try to just bring home the standing dead or wind fallen. All the cherry has come down in the wind.

Anywhere near Murazzano?
We spend a lot of time there, I love Piemonte.

Latest posts

Back