Something a little different!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dodge

Established Member
Reaction score
In a couple of weeks we are attending a christening and the little fella whose getting dunked is the son of very good friends of ours.

Anyway my wife went out and has purchased him the obligatory silver money box and picture frame - now come on what use are they going to be to him as he grows up?? (hammer)

So uncle Rog has been busy today and from me he is getting a nice little pair of mallets - lignum vitae heads, the turned one has a beech handle and the traditional mallet has a yew handle. They will come with a guarantee of teaching him how to use them when he is a little bit older.

I made them slightly smaller on purpose so he doesn't have to wait too long to use them!

DSCF4460.jpg

Now what is your opinion should we go with the silver stuff or the Malletts - he will be getting both of course!

Of course if you give him the Mallets and the Silver he could well get into silversmithing, Starting by remodelling the money box. :)
xy

To be honest its a bit of a joke with his Dad - being an IT bod he has always teased me that he will get my son into computers and IT despite James preferring his little bench in my workshop so its only fitting I can get my own back :lol:

Rog,

When you make the square one, do you start with a solid lump, or do you laminate pieces together, and build the handle in s you do so?

Thanks
Mark

marcros":1d9cwgm1 said:
Rog,

When you make the square one, do you start with a solid lump, or do you laminate pieces together, and build the handle in s you do so?

Thanks
Mark

The head of the traditional mallet was made from a single piece of timber and through morticed - the top of the mortice was then opened up and the tenon on the yew handle was then glued in and wedged with a couple of ebony wedges to splay the tenon preventing the head from coming off.

HTH

Rog

Rog

I think the mallets are a great idea, but the promise of teaching him how to use them is the icing on the cake.

It's fantastic to get original inspirational presents even at a young age. Even if he doesn't grow up to be an artisan he will very much appreciate the thought.

I would have loved that for either of my kids when they were young, even my girl.

Mick

Back