something a little different - high chair

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jumps

Established Member
Reaction score
I was politely asked by the boss if I could sort out a chair for No1 grandchild, so that she can sit at 'the big table' when everyone's round for lunch...

strangely the argos and ikea cataloges weren't my first thought #-o

still to decide on a finish because it's all made from basically scrap wood (a piece of left over CLS studding, a bit of pine board - cut and glued, and an offcut of a sycamore plank from when I cleaned it up) (hammer)

6794851716_0693944e35_o.jpg

apparently there is more to life than bowls... :roll:

Jumps, thats quite a chair but 'where's the Balls', seriously though I bet Grandchild and the boss are chuffed to bits with that.

Steve

Please excuse my ignorance but was the back rail cut from the outside of the seat.
I have problems copying anything, the amount that you have done leaves me speechless.

Terry

thank you all for the kind comments - I'll try and answer specific points raised in one post...

Allen, thanks for that link - interesting. I think the wipe on poly would be perfect, but feel I need some sort of pigment to bring the different woods together. Really wish I had used syc for the legs etc instead of the scrap pine now :(

Nev, I assme so as there is a lot of 'pine' furniture out there!

Ian, that was the interesting bit; basically a skew exercise with the added element of accuracy. I did the leg arrangement first, so by the time I got the the 8 chair bits in syc it was easy - I actually ran all 8 without turning the lathe off and on at all :)

Terry, unfortunately not. The arm rest overlaps the seat with an angle of 4 degrees on the spindles and therefore the drilled holes locating them. I can't take credit for working this all out as I used a slightly modified version of the plans for this -

6795611812_20bab4896b_z.jpg

which was the previous 'chair' I built for her - from plans purchased over the internet.

Hello,

This is a well made chair! You should use a child safe coating, like milk paint, or acrylics made for toys, in my opinion.

Have a nice day,

János

Back