Somekind of vice?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LuptonM

Established Member
Reaction score
My dad has had this small vice in his garage forever- at least it seems like that. I've always thought that look like a rubbish vice but recently I've had the inkling that it might be a small saw vice of some type (looks a little small though to be any use)

P1010040-1.jpg

P1010039-2.jpg

Its in pretty bad nick, but what is it exactly? The irony is that if it is a saw vice, all of his saws are hard-point :lol:

LuptonM":21muvzl4 said:
My dad has had this small vice in his garage forever- at least it seems like that. I've always thought that look like a rubbish vice but recently I've had the inkling that it might be a small saw vice of some type (looks a little small though to be any use)

P1010040-1.jpg

P1010039-2.jpg

Its in pretty bad nick, but what is it exactly? The irony is that if it is a saw vice, all of his saws are hard-point :lol:

For VERY shallow saws, you were thinking, perhaps? :D :D :D

BugBear

Bench mounted version of a blacksmiths leg-vice in style, although one of the smallest I've seen.

Gareth

I have a similar but larger vice and it is for blacksmiths. You can use them with hammers unlike many other type of vices. As far as I know they tend to be forged rather than cast which makes them suitable for holding and hitting metal with.

I have a similar little vise...the one on the left...but it has the top part of the clamp missing...I wondered what was missing...

DSC_0734.JPG

Now I know!

Cheers

Jimi

It is termed a watchmakers table vice. And this one is like a blacksmiths leg vice. The finer quality ones would be used by w/makers small parts but they were sold and used by people who needed a small vice. jewellery, bashing, cutting, filing liitle bits of things, keys, metal-buttons, cleaning up a bolt, the old spark plugs, etc. A handy tool. A clean up and starightening of bars and faces and mounted on a block of wood makes it very useful when put into another vice. I have a different one I use for models. The small screw pressure matches the use. Definately a must keep one that. I would say it is a fair age. Great. Should add that is a little anvil on the back

I have a more modern version a Record Imp No. 80 - painted red.
3" jaws with a striking disc and anvil at the back.

By comparison my ancient Disston saw vice has 9 1/2" wide jaws.

Rod

Twas thinking this was for pad saws or summit. Guess it could be a handy little vice if I ever need to bash some metal

Back