Some turnings from beginners

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

La Truciolara

Established Member
Reaction score
Last week there was a “discovery training week” exclusively for young ladies
These are some of the turnings they were able to do on Friday after four days turning.
It looks like young persons are really good at it, and as usual, ladies do perform better than men in woodturning. They do not fight the lathe but do caress the wood. The finish priori to use any grit is always astonishing.
I find the “La Truciolara” with her hat and Hair quite amazing.

Is'nt she cute?
I guess I'll turn her again and make her the mascotte of La Truciolara (in brunette, blond... and other versions, and even in eben :wink: )

thats wonderful to see.
it took me far to long to find out that the more gentle aproach i had gave me better results, rather than ripping the wood out with an aggressive attitude and far to much sanding.
i learnt a big lesson to myself by letting my 8 year old son have a go at spindle turning, i turned a small branch of yew into a 12 inch long spindle blank and pointed out all the saftey aspects to him and then got him to hold the chisel while i held his hands and after a few minutes i let go and let him put the tool on the tool rest apply the bevel raise the handle .
just pure emotion followed aswell as the longest but very thin shavings.
he made a sort of candle holder a slight odd shape but very very little sanding was needed .
by teaching my son i taught my self .
i really wish i had taken lessons my self instead of jumping straight in.
i hope my son keeps an interest in woodturning because to me there is nothing more pleasing than to create something that is pleasing to the eye but most of all to create something that is usefull.

What a lovely story.
Keep him turning... I wish I'd start at his age...
ANd remember to be soft and smooth. It is your lathe which does all the effort, you just guide the gouge to shape the wood the way you want. :wink:

Latest posts

Back