some tools i aquired

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If he's a grenadier, he's a mounted grenadier - he's got spurs on. Apparently there have been such since 1812 so could be. Still looks quixotic to me though... I think it's the middle aged look and the tash that does it.

When that toothing plane is French, you have a good chance that the wood isn't box, but the french "cormier". A very rare species nowadays. It's brilliant for planes, hard and tight grain. Servicetree is the english translation I think.

AndyT":16kx3by1 said:
Yebbut... as the publishers kindly point out, in the "English Corner" of their website, "Some books do not need translation. They are illustrated , so they can be used by any foreign customer."
I noticed that. I appreciate their faith in their foreign customers. :roll:

... and think how handy it would be for answering questions from us cheapskates!
Uh-huh. If people would stop giving me iTunes gift cards for my birthday and real cash I might actually fall for that excuse. As it is, nearest I can get is probably a selection of albums by The Carpenters. :lol:

[Btw - I followed your nudge and bought the reprint of the 1901 Woodworker - interesting to see the same subjects coming round again and again!]
Yes indeed! But some lovely stuff in there; the letter from the old boy ostensibly concerning the mallet design was worth the price of admission alone to me.

It is definitely a hacking knife as used by plumbers of old, for removing old putty when replacing glass. Glazing was one of the jobs carried out by traditional plumbers before our system of trade skills was broken down so that it only takes a fortnight to get qualified instead of 4 or 5 years! The scales are loosely fitted leather to take some of the shock out of the blow and save your hands from so much grief.
HTH, Neil

lincs1963":2ft1b5bo said:
It is definitely a hacking knife as used by plumbers of old, for removing old putty when replacing glass. Glazing was one of the jobs carried out by traditional plumbers before our system of trade skills was broken down so that it only takes a fortnight to get qualified instead of 4 or 5 years! The scales are loosely fitted leather to take some of the shock out of the blow and save your hands from so much grief.
HTH, Neil

That would explain why I found one in Father-in-Law's Leather tool bag. He was a Certified plumber, who started in the 1920s. The knife was with some really nice lignum dollies! One of them makes a nice lightweight mallet, and the other, (which looks like a spinning-top), would serve an auctioneer quite well as a gavel. I still have the lignum tools, of course, but I can't find the hacking knife! Neither can I recall what we used them for in the RN! Grrrrrrrrr! :lol:

:mrgreen:

Cheshirechappie":1gnox87w said:
Benchwayze Neither can I recall what we used them for in the RN! Grrrrrrrrr! :lol: :mrgreen:[/quote:1gnox87w said:
Er - replacing the windows in submarines?
Windows? Windows?. ON A SHIP? Of any sort....

Scuttles Sir... Scuttles is what they're called in the Andrew! :D :D :D

Edit...
Chesshire Chappie...

I remember now!
They weren't used for replacing scuttles. They were used to replace windows in stone-frigates! 8) :wink:

Benchwayze":2as2i1ge said:
Cheshirechappie":2as2i1ge said:
Benchwayze Neither can I recall what we used them for in the RN! Grrrrrrrrr! :lol: :mrgreen:[/quote:2as2i1ge said:
Er - replacing the windows in submarines?
Windows? Window?. ON A SHIP? Of any sort....

Scuttles Sir... Scuttles is what they're called in the Andrew! :D :D :D

Oooops. Bit of a landlubber, me; in case you hadn't noticed... :oops:

I'm pretty sure it's a hacking knife. My father had one as well, and it had thick leather "scales" (never knew they were called that).
I would've bet money that you could still walk into Wickes and buy one - but I guess not, from the speculation here!

Back