Some recent work: AV Cabinet, small kitchen shelves

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Wood Butcher

Established Member
Reaction score
Thought I'd share some recent work I've been doing, first up is an AV cabinet to take a large flat screen and a high-end hifi system. Based on a design that Heal's sell, but larger and much better made, even if I do say so myself...

Five feet long, 20 inches wide, 27 inches tall. Mixture of ash, american black walnut and veneered mdf. Finished using Festool Surfix Heavy Duty Oil and Liberon finishing oil, Festool for the large flat bits and Finishing oil for the ash frame. I'm really coming round to the finishing oil, with careful application and polishing it leaves a lovely semi-gloss finish. Whilst I like the finish the Surfix oil leaves, it takes an elephant's pregnancy to cure off to a hard finish.

Mainly domino'ed, the frame is held to the cabinet using lengths of 8mm stud epoxied in. I felt that with the weight of kit that it would be loaded up with, to use only dominos would be pushing my luck. That's also the reason for the centre support on the frame, without it it would have sagged in seconds even though it looked much better without it.

Only one wip photo I'm afraid, will do more next time.

Choosing the grain for the door uprights

Finished. What, isn't everybody's workshop carpeted with a fine beige Axminster..?

Mitered ash frame

Solid walnut nosing rounded off on the router table for the door uprights, top, bottom and shelf. Got a really good grain match on the top, shelves and bottom were acceptable. Bog standard Blum hinges.

Just one picture of a set of kitchen shelves that I built to keep expensive stuff out of the reach of the one year old... Oak and oak-veneered mdf, and that mitre has been sanded smooth since this photo was taken.

Any comments or critique welcomed.

Finishing Oil is good stuff but I wouldn't use it on ash...look at the colour it's gone. If you like that colour it's great, but not for me - Rob

That's to do with the auto-white balancing on the iPhone camera, in reality it's a lovely pale white base with a hint of yellowy-brown.

Back