Some recent turnings

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

duncanh

Established Member
Reaction score
Finally got round to taking some photos...

click image for a larger version

This is from a leylandii tree that had been dead for several years but only recently cut down so the wood was reasonable dry. It was horrible to work with as it's so soft and was a real pain to get a smooth finish. I probably won't bother with it again except that it has an amazing figure to it - this peice even has some ripple at the bottom of it
27cm tall, 14cm at widest

click image for a larger version

Poplar burr with ebony collar
9cm high, 14cm wide. Walls are about 5mm thick
The poplar was horrible to hollow (it was dry) but had attractice figure so I persisted.

more photos to follow when I have time

Two very nice pieces there! Very well done indeed! I have a lot of poplar around here and it is a pain to turn when it is dry.

A little trick I have learned ... when you get close to the final shape, put on a thick coat of sanding sealer and let it dry well. The wood seems to turn and sand much better then.

Again, lovely shapes and very nice work.

Tom

Very nice work, well done. I do like the shapes, have never turned leylandi, i don`t think i will after the trouble you went through with it.

I hads some alder that was very dry and had spalted, i used a lot of sanding sealer on it and i can say the sanding sealer trick does work very well

Cheers :wink:

Nice forms duncanh, I appreciate the crispness of your neck beads in the soft wood of the Leylandii, not an easy task to finish sand and not blend them out. I have dismissed the Leylandii lying around here as being too soft but you might just have convinced me to have a look at some pieces. What sort of thickness did you manage to achieve on the walls? I have not progressed to that degree of deep narrow neck hollowing yet.

Thanks for the comments.

CHJ- the walls are about 8mm thick and not entirely uniform - fortunately the neck is too narrow for anyone to check :) The hollowing wasn't actually done through the narrow neck - the beads are there to disguise the join between the lower body and the neck.

Duncan

duncanh":s1u5cr44 said:
Thanks for the comments.
...snip... - the beads are there to disguise the join between the lower body and the neck.
Duncan

=D>

Thanks again.
The technique for the neck was taken from the John Jordan video - http://www.thegmcgroup.com/item--Hollow-Turning--GMV-TURNING-15.html
My local library had a copy, but I now have one of my own.

Most of the profiling of the neck shape was done whilst the 2 pieces were separated as I didn't want to put too much stress on the body by turning it after glueing, and I didn't want a catch.

Back