Some peoples generosity knows no bounds!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dodge

Established Member
Reaction score
Well where do I start - this week has been one to remember - mainly due to the generosity I have experienced from fellow woodworkers/Forum members

Firstly earlier this week I was very pleased to receive unexpectedly the beautiful turned pen from Nev Rowley (Nev) following the mini pen competition.

Secondly a fellow woodworker called at my premises yesterday and handed me a brand new Kataba Japanese saw - He himself had been given this some time ago but had never used it and didn't like it - despite offers of payment he refused saying he would like to see it used properly

Then the Piece de resistance occurred this morning when our post lady rang the door bell and handed me a small parcel addressed to my son James but stamped with Workshop Heaven!

Anyway to step back a little you may recall my thread in January when my son James wanted to bid on a Stanley No1 that was on Ebay but which eventually for over £800. James was really disappointed by this as he had emptied his piggy bank and worked out how much he had - I had even said I would pitch in and help him buy it but not to the tune of £800.

Just after this I had been talking to Matthew at Workshop Heaven and we had discussed the No1 and how James had wanted to buy it but failed and Matthew said he would keep his eyes open.

Anyway when James opened the box words cannot describe the look on his face when he removed this:-

Dscf4545.jpg

A small but perfectly formed No1 plane - the picture below shows it against a £2 coin

DSCF4541.jpg

The personal letter to James from Matthew included with the plane detailed his discussion with me and that on speaking with the companies he deals with, whilst production of the No1 has ceased they were able to assemble this one from components they still had so this could be the last they ever produce!

This plane was sent to my son completely free by Matthew at Workshop Heaven and is an unbelievable act of kindness on his part - The joy he has brought to my son today is truly priceless.

So when you hear of all the woes and negativity in the world there are some true unsung heroes out there.

Absolutely fantastic, just shows that there are still people willing to give and help without wanting something in return.
Made my day after seeing the smile on James face

dave

That post made my weekend! Lucky lad and well done to all who freely and generously gift to others without expecting cash/favours in return.

Now come on James we need to see shavings!

Makes a very nice change to hear something nice. I believe news people should report more nice things instead of just the horrible stuff.

That's a fantastic story, it shows there's hope in humanity after all 8)

Very nice of Matt (and others) and its great to see a young boy so happy about receiving something that not only requires physical work to use but don't contain a microchip. Its also good to see the young practicing the older ways of a trade thats struggling to inspire the young.

This is a great example of what you give out you get back.

You're one, if not THE most generous person on this forum!

Splendid - in a world that often seems full of greed, negativity and lies, that's the sort of thing that restores your faith in human nature. Hats off to Matthew and to Lie-Nielsen. There is something about wood and woodworking that brings out the best in people - long may that continue!

James - I hope you go on to own and use many fine tools, but you'll never have one as special as that again! Don't ever, EVER part with that plane - or the letters that came with it. How about making a really good toolchest to keep it safe as the first job to use it on?

Roger

That's a really nice story and you should take some credit from it yourself. People don't do things like that for people who are not good and true people themselves.

I bet your son is very happy with his present, I know I would be.

Mick

Well, to a pensioner in budget week ( :( ), that sort of thing is enormously heartening. There are still people out there who aren't just in it for the bonuses.
Cherish that plane, James.

It's a fantastic story but the best bit is how pleased James is with his plane.

I hope it is a joy to work with James and look forward to seeing what you make with it.

Back