Some pens I made.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Inspector

Nyuck, Nyuck, Nyuck!
Reaction score
I've made some pens for gifts and my wife wanted one for herself. All the kits were bought from William Wood-Write here in Canada.

Three Regal pens that are no longer available here with polyester resin blanks my wife got 10 years ago. The kit is available under the name Zoe and Diana in the US. I don't know if anyone in the UK sells them. Ladies like them as they are reasonably sized and have the two crystals in them.

IMG_5340.jpg

IMG_5363.jpg

Next up is a Cat pen. Ordinarily I wouldn't touch a theme pen but it is destined for a friend that loves cats and has alway had two or three since meeting her in 1980.

IMG_5367.jpg

And lastly is a Luxor that I made a little shorter (7mm approximately) to eliminate the refill spacer it comes with. They often get tossed before the person realizes they need to be put on the new refill.

IMG_5373.jpg

The background the pens are on is petrified wood. Needed to have wood of some kind on a woodworking forum didn't I?

Pete

Pete, I have seen that kit recently here in the UK so one of the 4 or 5 companies I get kits from must do it I just can’t remember which at the moment!
I frequent another pen forum, and know some of the peeps post her too so maybe one of them can remember, but regardless all look like great finishes on nice kits, I’m sure the recipients will love them.

Padster

yes it's sad but can we see more of the petrified wood....pls.....

plan on making a few pens...just need to find solid BRASS pen guts less than £8 per throw......

What wood do you think that is Pete?

I have no definitive answer but the most common species in the Petrified Forest National Park in Arizona quoted from Petrified Wood For Sale - FossilEra.com "The dominant tree species in the forest is Araucarioxylon arizonicum, a type of conifer related to the living “Monkey Puzzle Tree” so that's what I am going with. 🤓 Searching will reveal lots of reading about it.

I got the bookends from a local store when I lived in BC. The guy was one of those rockhound types that had stuff he collected and polished from all over the country. He had a few mastodon/mammoth tusks too. Stuff was everywhere and you had to pick your way around it all to see the things he had on/under the shelves and tables in cardboard boxes or sitting on the floor.

Pete

Thanks, it looks spectacular.

I met a lady in Oregon who had loads of it in her garden, but I guess it's illegal to collect it from the National Park.

I wonder how she managed to get hold of so much ?

Thanks, it looks spectacular.

I met a lady in Oregon who had loads of it in her garden, but I guess it's illegal to collect it from the National Park.

I wonder how she managed to get hold of so much ?

It is legal to harvest it from private land with the owners permission. Apparently the park is only one tenth of the area of that forest.

Pete

I have no definitive answer but the most common species in the Petrified Forest National Park in Arizona quoted from Petrified Wood For Sale - FossilEra.com "The dominant tree species in the forest is Araucarioxylon arizonicum, a type of conifer related to the living “Monkey Puzzle Tree” so that's what I am going with. 🤓 Searching will reveal lots of reading about it.

I got the bookends from a local store when I lived in BC. The guy was one of those rockhound types that had stuff he collected and polished from all over the country. He had a few mastodon/mammoth tusks too. Stuff was everywhere and you had to pick your way around it all to see the things he had on/under the shelves and tables in cardboard boxes or sitting on the floor.

Pete
I live in b.c. Where was this store located. I wonder if it’s still around. My wife would love some of that . She loves fossils.

Pete I have a friend like that, he's into old rocks n Norton Commando's.....
he's got a gen factory racer on th uspstairs landing and 16 complete others ...plus who knows how much other stuff for em.....
YES he lives alone, confirmed batchelor......hahaha...

I live in b.c. Where was this store located. I wonder if it’s still around. My wife would love some of that . She loves fossils.

It was in Aldergrove and it was gone years before I left in 2015. I have no idea if they relocated or where. Sorry. Where in BC do you live?

Pete

Back