Some nice looking yew !

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paulm

IG paulm_outdoors
Reaction score
My friendly local tree surgeon who I got all the wood shreddings from for the veg garden paths popped round unexpectedly late afternoon yesterday with a nice pile of yew branches for me :D

Had got chatting to him when he dropped the shreddings off and mentioned I did some woodturning and always happy to swop some beer tokens for nice timber.

IMG_0126.jpg

The branches/small trunks are mostly around two to four feet long and four to six inches diameter, lovely colouring and patterning as usual for yew, gorgeous wood.

IMG_0129.jpg

Gave him some beer tokens as promised to encourage him to remember me if he comes across anything else interesting !

Have worked through about half of it this afternoon, taking off the side shoots, cutting the ends square and into suitable lengths for storage and ready for end sealing. Should make some interesting pieces, got some ideas already :-k

Cheers, Paul

woodyturner":2nf5wkze said:
You lucky Jammy git :p :p I bet you will have lots of fun converting that lot

:lol: yep, think you're right, should be fun, and I need to get turning other stuff too as I'm pretty much out of storage space, well indoors at least !

Cheers, Paul

paulm":3kz1adp1 said:
woodyturner":3kz1adp1 said:
You lucky Jammy git :p :p I bet you will have lots of fun converting that lot

:lol: yep, think you're right, should be fun, and I need to get turning other stuff too as I'm pretty much out of storage space, well indoors at least !

Cheers, Paul
You can always build yoursef another sheltered storage area for green wood :lol:

Rapidly thinking I need to do that myself having spent another couple or three hours recently just moving stuff around to make room.
Thought I'd aquired such recently after cutting up my old 2500ltr metal oil tank, boss had other ideas though for the vacated space and until I get her decking and summer house/pergola or whatever done can't see it happening.

I can sympathise Chas, I have to balance progress on working through "The List" for swmbo, with doing more fun things for myself, guess all us blokes do ? :lol:

Cheers, Paul

Hi Paul, nice haul. I recently asked some town council tree surgeons for some bits of a nice tree they were butchering. They came up with every excuse known to man for not giveing it to me, from theres nails in it to its no good for turning. I think it was destined for someones woodburner. I like your method of sorting your branchwood timber and blanks. May have to copy it. mine is either piled under my apple tree or stuffed under benches. Its a nightmare when your looking for a piece that you know you have but cant find.
mark

wallace":bzxke37a said:
I like your method of sorting your branchwood timber and blanks. May have to copy it. mine is either piled under my apple tree or stuffed under benches. Its a nightmare when your looking for a piece that you know you have but cant find.
mark

Hi Mark,

Ironically enough mine has all finished up under the bench too after cutting and sealing ! :)

The main storage is on metal racks from costco, good and sturdy and the wire shelves let the air circulate well, and they are easily movable as on large wheels if I need to reconfigure the layout (would have to take the wood off first of course).

The rest is just assorted baskets, crates and shelving left over from the kids out growing things in their rooms and cast-offs from the house, but it helps to be able to see most of what is there and then pull out a crate or whatever to have a rummage through.

There's more racks in the large shed too, not that I have a problem with collecting wood you understand :oops: :lol:

Only just finished clearing the front "lawn" of walnut logs after a couple of years under a tarp, and need to tackle the pile of other assorted logs behind the garage next, Suspect most of that is too far gone though and will replenish the firewood pile, otherwise swmbo has threatened to raid my storage racks and turning blanks for firewood come the autumn :shock: :lol:

Cheers, Paul

Back