some new stuff

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrs. sliver

Established Member
Reaction score
A few things I managed to get finished off this week.

DSCF3422.jpg

DSCF3421.jpg

DSCF3415.jpg

This one has cracks ... apart from the big one!! and I am thinking of pyroging it a bit to cover up, what you reckon?

DSCF3425.jpg

This was made out of an untreated sleeper? I am told it is 'Jarra' .... no idea!

DSCF3411.jpg

And with a little help from my friend

DSCF3419.jpg

Had another bash at segments. I am getting there, but still not accurate enough and getting gaps. :x

Some of those are looking frighteningly normal for your stable Mrs S. :shock:

Good to see you mastering the finishing on those pieces they are normal enough to show up any shortcuts.

Yes the segment stuff can be quite a fiddle, what bit I've done, it does depend on getting the angles spot on.

I would advise not trying to hide the cracks, if anything accentuate them by filling them in with a contrasting colour or, if they are following the grain carve them out further perhaps?

As Chas said, there is some fairly normal looking stuff there and I admire your stickanility re the segmented work. I have never got further than looking at someone elses work.

You can buy Jarrah sleepers on the net. They were used a lot as apparently they don't need treating for rot or bug damage.

Pete

Mrs S, I like the work you do and would love to do pieces of that size,noy too big which your work seems to be to me,I hope i'm right.
I dont have any exoctic timber,but loads of native pieces about 4/6" square but when I get to the lathe my mind goes blank.Some would say it's a permenant condition :? However in the next few weeks I hope to to get going again and use some of your pieces as an inspiration.Thank You. REgards Boysie.

You've been busy Mrs.S :D I like the vase(2nd pic down), lovely shape,great timber(what is it?) and a really good looking finish 8) a real winner there :D .

What glue do you use for the segmented work?

JT

I have been rushing the segmented stuff too much, I think that is why I keep having trouble really!
I shall spend some time now slowing down and try get it right! :roll:

The second picture down> that's Yew, not sure about the one bellow that though, it was a 'rescued, piece.
Normally I us titebond glue but ran out so used evostick wood glue.

I admit there are some worryingly normal pieces, but it was prep for a street fair :lol: ... normal... or should I say abnormal service, will resume as soon as possible!
:lol:

mrs. sliver":2j1b3c80 said:
I have been rushing the segmented stuff too much, I think that is why I keep having trouble really!
I shall spend some time now slowing down and try get it right!

With my limited experience with segments and available equipment I have to check all cut segments for correct angle and squareness against my disc sander, you can see how I tackle them in this Bangles missive.

Back