Some new Murican saw maker

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ydb1md

Established Member
Reaction score
I've heard rumours that some guy, I think his name is Wenzlauf(?) or Wenzloff(?) is going to start making saws?

Any of you know anything?

I nearly spit my coffee onto my keyboard--thanks, Dave.

And that would be bad. My left shift, the open/close quote and the number zero keys stopped working on this laptop. I figure it is only a matter of time my computer dies altogether and then I'll be off line--unless I go back to using my desktop computer.

Then I would have to sit at a desk. I couldn't take it out to the shop like I do with the laptop. Wouldn't be able to sit in bed and drink coffee while I peruse the internet. And most importantly, I would not be able to sit out on the front porch and drink G&Ts while I write.

Of course, if I worked harder none of the above would be an issue...so off I go.

Take care, Mike

Maybe this is a bit OT and if so, sorry, but I was just looking at Mike's page and there is not much there! There's no mention of saws or other things, just current work(cabinets) and wall cabinets. Am I looking at the wrong site?

Ed :?

Ed,

From what I've heard, Mike is too busy to update the site or do much else outside of keeping up with work -- and taking care of his thumb. I'm sure we'll know a whole lot more in the next few weeks or so.

Mike's been a busy boy.

Ah, the web site. Long story short, the web site went up and it quickly became just a way to update clients on WIP. The bloody thing takes more time than I would like.

The saws are a new direction for the business--at least as a focus. I'll always make some furniture pieces, but this change of direction is fairly permenant.

The saws came about as I was sharpening for several galoots [local and otherwise] and as a reference for a local hardware store. One of the clients knew of someone who was looking to have some saws made. He had played with a couple of my saws and recommended me to this collector. A deal was made as were the saws.

As furniture has gotten physically challenging for me, I have found a relief and joy in making the saws. Sharpening has sort of burst open--so much so that I ended up with 95-100 saws in less than a week a few weeks ago and they keep coming in--albeit at a much more manageable pace.

Healing was so slow [mostly due to using the dumb thing] that the last of the big rush of saws and those that dribbled in left yesterday [well, I have two more] and I can get back to the business of business. The right forefinger still hurts if I press on it, but it is manageable.

Mixed in there, I was also writing an article on sharpening. At one point I had every manufacturers' motorized piece of sharpening gear here. Looked like a Christmas gone really bad.

The new web site is mostly ready to post, though I am having someone make it a little nicer to use for ordering. Too, I have made another 23 saws in the last couple weeks for some previous customers.

Here's a pic of one in progress. I did this one after dinner last night.
Harvey Peace saw

This is what the small tenon saws look like. This one has a 12" long blade, and will have 3 1/2" below the spine. A three more hours of work and it will be ready to ship to the buyer.

Handle needs shaped [and a couple coats of oil, dried and a couple very thin coats of shellac], the blade polished, brass back installed and the teeth filed in. The handle design is from a Harvey Peace saw I have used. It is "let into" the saw blade. Gives a very immediate feeling to sawing.

Well, take care. I need more coffee. And I need to prepare for a trip next week. Without computer! 5 days you'll be free from Mikey...

Mike

Congrats Mike,
I wish you the best of luck, although something tells me you won't need too much of it.
Looking forward to seeing what you have to offer.

Wow, that looks really cool! If it isn't too much to ask, I'd be interested in seeing the finished product. If you have time.

Thanks,

Ed

Ed451":2qpvbrsq said:
Wow, that looks really cool! If it isn't too much to ask, I'd be interested in seeing the finished product. If you have time.

Thanks,

Ed

You think that looks cool? Wait til you see the half-backs . . . . 8)

ydb1md":3ovti3t7 said:
Ed451":3ovti3t7 said:

Thanks, Ed
You think that looks cool? Wait til you see the half-backs . . . . 8)
You mean this worthless ol' thing?
half_back.jpg

This was the original prototype I never got around to finishing. Here all that's left is to cut the teeth in [to order, but suggest 11-12], polish the blade, brass back one last time and the saw nuts [from the donor saw, a Disston].

It'll be a chance for someone to own what could amount to a piece of history. One way or the other :lol:

Man Mike, I was trying to tease the guys and there you go, raising the curtain after all of five minutes. :roll:

Haven't you learned anything from Rob -- the master of tease . . . make 'em wait? :lol:

Hi Ed, sure...well, not that one. It's wraped up in its package.

I've got one just like it started, but with a curly Maple handle that will be for sale when I get back from a trip next weekend or so.

peace_maple.jpg

Take care, Mike

ydb1md":3r9pjpy4 said:
Man Mike, I was trying to tease the guys and there you go, raising the curtain after all of five minutes. :roll:

Haven't you learned anything from Rob -- the master of tease . . . make 'em wait? :lol:

Oops... :wink:

MikeW":398xcrz2 said:
ydb1md":398xcrz2 said:

Oops... :wink:

I think you'll have a long waiting list for your saws in short order Mike. 8)

Frank D.":15vfcz6g said:
Boy,
Here I am drooling already...I NEED one of each of those...
Would this be the appropriate time to mention I make 6 different saws?

And for its 100th anniversary [12-12-1905], I will be making my version [a limited run] of this one...

wuest_0001.jpg

Rip on one side, CC the other. Very handy at the bench. I should have these shortly before Christmas.

Take care, Mike
ok, Dave, how'd I do with that one?

Back