some forum members behaviour

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jorgoz

Established Member
Reaction score
Since a couple of months of starting to check up on the forum again i've gotten quite annoyed (to strong a word but to empasize it) with some forum members behavior. I'm not a frequent poster but a frequent reader, so maybe i have a little less of a say.

Sometimes they seem like a bunch of five year olds. Not that i don't mind a good laugh and jab under the table au contraire in fact.

If it would contribute to the thread in question i would understand, but most of the time it's about unpleasantries towards one another and seems to go on and on. The people i'm talking about will probably recognize themselves, i hope at least. I understand you can't get along with everybody and there's no need, but in the public interest give it a rest please.

A debate is about leaving room for your fellow woodworkers opinion, not about i'm right you're wrong or belittling their point of view.

Sorry for the rant fellow woodworkers probably not the first or last time, but had to get it of my chest.

I tend to agree with you jorgoz, it can be very off putting. I will sometimes just stop watching a thread when this happens.

I think that if you might be offended by something on a public forum such as this it is best to just walk away, I've got much better things to do with my time than read all that dross

regards

Brian

In which case I apologise, given I can't speak/read any language except English (some might say I'm not very good at that either). :)

Would also be helpful if the original OP would state which particular rant he is ranting about, but i do agree with hs points..

I'm guessing it's the Jacob-hating he is referring to. If I'm right then I agree - it quickly deteriorates into petty bickering and the original point of the thread is lost.

Sometimes when reading a long thread [or watching one develop] you can clearly identify the point at which it turns from woody advice to looking for a fight. Agreed it starts with childish don't-know-when-to-stop bickering, then others get drawn in. To be honest I think the 'Jacob-hating' is getting a bit past it's sell-by date now, lost it's relevance IMHO.

Yes, i'm referring to the Jacob-bashing. I know he doesn't make life easy on some folks, and i think his remarks are sometimes on the sneering side of things. Either way, i think it's no way to behave on a public forum, where we all have a similar interest and new woodworkers come to looking for help/info. Even, in my view, respectable people seem to get sucked into this, strange. Maybe he functions better that way, negative attention is also attention, alas it is at the expense of others. There are always two parties responsible, but many seem to think it's only his doing, which is never right.

Jorgoz - don't worry about me I'm used to it! I stopped caring a long time ago. Whatever you do don't storm off in a huff!
A vocal minority find views different from their own shocking and unacceptable. Bizarre really, when the topic is something as mundane as chisel sharpening!
It's their problem really, not mine.

PS And no I do not seek negative attention. I also get friendly support of one kind and another, otherwise I wouldn't bother at all. Some people are actually frightened of being seen to be agreeing with me, and send PMs instead.

Jacob":33zk3yz4 said:
A vocal minority find views different from their own shocking and unacceptable. ..... It's their problem really, not mine.

Pot, kettle, black. It's as much your problem as it is theirs. As jorgoz said, it takes two (or more) to tango.

It's a real shame because there are clearly talented and skilled individuals in both camps. But neither camp seem willing to accept that the others' methods work too.

monkeybiter":207fwjzs said:
Sometimes when reading a long thread [or watching one develop] you can clearly identify the point at which it turns from woody advice to looking for a fight. Agreed it starts with childish don't-know-when-to-stop bickering, then others get drawn in. To be honest I think the 'Jacob-hating' is getting a bit past it's sell-by date now, lost it's relevance IMHO.

Not necessarily defending Jacob but read the relevant threads carefully as they progress and you'll see one or two particular members habitually jumping in with snide and sarcastic remarks and the thread goes downhill. I had to remove 5 or 6 posts from these people in a single thread a few days ago.
Sure, Jacob isn't exactly as pure as the driven snow and when he mis-behaves action is taken but more permanent action will be taken if the baiting/hating continues.
Use the report button if you see something that you feel needs our attention.

Jacob":36pkmnfq said:
Some people are actually frightened of being seen to be agreeing with me, and send PMs instead.

It appears that discussion on this board is in trouble - I get PM's of support when I contradict Jacob's claims.

BugBear

Every couple of months we get a similar thread to this. One of the rules excludes political and religious discussions. Maybe discussing sharpening should be added to the exclusion list, because it seems to end the same way every single time. I have sent PM's to Jacob, who has given me some great advice on some bits. I am not afraid of publically agreeing or disagreeing with him, but I am a beginner and I often cannot back up my thoughts with relevant experience. Likewise, I have PM'd other members about sharpening advice because I dare not utter those words on here again.

Jacobs often touted phrase of "it's not about the tools" seems to be misunderstood by some, mis-quoted by others and ignored by many, but is probably the best advice for any beginner and sticks in my mind. Shiny new tools from Lie Nielson et al will not make your joints any better. Nor will they make them any worse. You pay your money, you take your choice- each to their own. Ladies and Gents, sharpen your chisels- however you choose to- and lets get to work. It is practice that will make those joints better, not sharpening that chisel, toothpick, Stanley knife (or whatever you use) using any particular jig or technique.

bugbear":1a1wmpnv said:
Jacob":1a1wmpnv said:
Some people are actually frightened of being seen to be agreeing with me, and send PMs instead.
It appears that discussion on this board is in trouble - I get PM's of support when I contradict Jacob's claims.
If people aren't willing to support either of you in public on the forum, they should desist from private PM's of support as well - it's just stirring the pot.

It is indeed a shame that skilled individuals can't show each other more respect, a lack of mutual respect.

And the mention of the PM's is in my opinion indeed stirring the po(s)t. But i shouldn't have expected otherwise.

I don't agree with Jacob on some matters but nevertheless appreciate Jacob's view and sceptical mind, as i don't agree with everything BB's says or any of the other Jacob-bashers or Jacob-possie. :D Again, sad development when you start divinding us up.

Jacob, don't get me wrong about the attention seeking thingie, it's just how it might appear to some.

BB, discussion is indeed a good thing, not when it becomes an i'm right you're wrong discussion or trowing around cheap comments. One of the things i learned from a lecture from a well known Tibetan Lama, don't believe a word i say, question it.

Same goes for Jacob, the slurry management thingie springs to mind, i though it was funny when you first mentioned it (i could see the guy with the German accent saying it), but at some point stop flogging a dead horse.

Sometimes we need a good laugh, not take ourselves too seriously from time to time. But it turns sour too often too quick.

Noel, it's good to know you are on top of things.

D'you what's truly sad about this situation? There's a member in Buying Advice looking for some guidance on buying a sharpening stone or two, and absolutely no-one with an ounce of sense is going to touch it with a 10ft pole. There should be a number of people on this forum ashamed of themselves for letting it get to this state; wish I could believe they are.

I'm working my way through the posts at the moment Alf and haven't got there yet, but being brainless I'll see if I can help him/her. :lol:

Roy.

Alf":27eyfper said:
D'you what's truly sad about this situation? There's a member in Buying Advice looking for some guidance on buying a sharpening stone or two, and absolutely no-one with an ounce of sense is going to touch it with a 10ft pole. There should be a number of people on this forum ashamed of themselves for letting it get to this state; wish I could believe they are.

Quite a few are responsable for that, subtle, but you have your fair go i think.

Seeing i've just got an ounce left, i'll think i'll headover to the topic you mentioned.

bugbear":1sjsy617 said:
Jacob":1sjsy617 said:

BugBear

And that statement accurately illustrates one of the points in my earlier post. Posting simply to score points and garner some measure of popularity? Forget about contradicting and trying to catch people out. Offer constructive opinions that add value to discussions or move along.

One other member is conspicuous by this absence (so far) but the same applies to him.

As for banning sharpening discussions? Might be an idea...........................

Back