some forum members behaviour

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree with most of whats said above but with an addition. Its a credit to this forum and its members that this thread is even posted and discussed. I'm a member of a few other forums on the yachting industry where the discussions get postively venomous - if they were face to face there'd be pint glasses flying. So although occasionally there's a little petty sniping here I'm thankful its usually pretty innocuous.

Should have seen it a few years ago.... much more lively in discussions.... these are but merely childish tiffs.

doctor Bob":2nrhnz5l said:
Should have seen it a few years ago.... much more lively in discussions.... these are but merely childish tiffs.
The good old days! I remember it well. Still got the scars. :shock: A laugh a minute! Somebody banned everyday - sometimes never to be seen again.
The odd thing is that when you go back and read the some of the argy bargy threads they don't seem too bad, unless I'm just a bit thick-skinned.
(Cue - somebody to chip in and say "no, just a bit thick" etc etc :roll: )

I don't know, some of it was definitely OTT, I like to think I'm quite placid now on here and can be more full on over on the otherside.

Sorry to say it but.....
I 'seems' that some members are being covertly warned whilst others given carte blanche to carry on being as sarcastic, dismissive and repetitive as they like.
I hope that isn't so.

I haven't been a member long enough to have seen the old days but I've seen some very vicious stuff on the car forums and it's definately out of order, wouldn't like to see it here as I consider UKW to be a great forum and reasonably civilised by comparison.

Having said that, I'm guilty of a little "friendly banter" with Jacob but only in respect of his ( IMO ) outragious comments on certain subjects not relating to woodwork and seemingly posted to bait a response. He wouldn't get bashed if he didn't put himself up for it. No disrespect intended Jacob, it's just my opinion and I respect your right to yours as well. I'm sure we all have certain views which if posted would illicit some pretty severe response from others.

On matters of woodwork, I have agreed with him and said so as from what I've seen, he knows his stuff.

I think it's sad that arguments regarding tools and ww practices can provoke serious disputes as there can be no absolutely correct method only prefered practice for individuals based on experience (or lack of), tools available, personal ability or perhaps disabilities and confidence. We tend to use whatever method we are comfortable with and which we find works for us - until we find other ways by research or listening to advice (the purpose of the forum surely).

Long may genuine discussion be allowed to continue
Bob

I'm a member of another unrelated forum largely populated by technical professionals with generally hefty egos, and the bad manners and outright bigotry on display can be offensive, I've seen the main mod ban somebody for being, in his words, 'a snot nosed kid'. It's not tap-room behaviour, but nor should it be. This forum is a much more civilised place where the manner of speech rarely clouds what's being said, and that's what makes it such an asset to it's users. This sort of thread every two or three months probably helps to keep it on track.

To both camps I'd like to say;

Please be respectful of each other for no other reason than posting intransigent attitudes and becoming buried in minutiae, clouds some topics so mere amateur wood murders such as myself can't see the wood for the trees and leave the room as confused as we entered.

You all have so much to offer people such as myself and other members of the forum but sometimes it appears from the outside that you forget that for every topic there are probably ten times the amount of people viewing rather than contributing.

Spare a thought for the bewildered onlookers please.

Back