Some bits and bobs

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonnyD

Established Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately my last remaining grandad died just before christmas and having just sold the house i found some bits whilst clearing it.

First up some saws which need a bit of tlc the dovetail saw is by lloyd davies of sheffield and cuts as nicely as my new veritas saw. The middle tenon saw is e garlick and sons and the blade is quite badly bent so dont know whether I will restore it and the top one is a disston

gdad-01800x598.jpg

gdads-02800x598.jpg

gdads-03.jpg

Next up is a hand turny grinder thingy i was amazed at how well and smooth it worked and i will definately be using it

gdads-04598x800.jpg

some nice smaller bits stanley 271 record 43 a small boxwood shave and a little beech woody

gdads-05800x598.jpg

There were about 5 or 6 hand drills and braces this was the nicest looking one

gdads-07598x800.jpg

gdads-06598x800.jpg

There was quite a bit of other stuff including marking guages some old stanley bench planes squares etc. It will be nice to clean them up and use them. I think most of the tools were probably my great grandads.

cheers

Jon

Sorry to hear about your Granddad mate.
I never met mine (they both died before I was born). My Mums Dad used to own a timber yard though, so I guess it's in the blood.

It's good that you're going to keep (and use) these tools, a nice reminder each and every time you pick them up. Was your Granddad a chippy?

All the best mate.

Adam.

Hi Adam my grandad was an engineer so i assume most of the tools were ones he got from my great grandad who was a very keen woodworker

cheers

Jon

Nice collection there mate...and I agree..they should be cleaned up and used in his memory.

The Disston looks to have some teeth problems...worth fixing or practising on though. The Lloyd is lovely too!

I see a little 043 router plane there...see my thread about them this week...they are beautiful little tools...try it!

The grinder is worth using too but I would get a nice wheel for it...you will be very surprised how this transforms the tool.

Post some pictures of your restorations if you do go ahead.....

Thanks for posting mate!

Jimi

The problem with grinders like that is that you need 3 hands to use it.

Or of course, a convenient small boy to wind the thing! My Grandfather used to use me and my brother working in relays! :mrgreen:

Tony Spear":19peoa9o said:
The problem with grinders like that is that you need 3 hands to use it.

Or of course, a convenient small boy to wind the thing! My Grandfather used to use me and my brother working in relays! :mrgreen:

I saw somewhere an adaptation to turn these hand grinders into treadle powered ones. It was quite clever if memory serves me correctly....

It was similar to THIS ONE

I will try to find it.

Jim

Stick a bit of string on the handle and down to a hinged pedal attached to the floor - if you really feel the need. But in actual fact it doesn't take very long at all before you wonder what the heck you thought you needed a second hand to hold the tool for.

My condolences on the passing of your grandfather, Jon. But nice to see some good tools being handed down another generation to use. The elegant open gear wheel of the hand drill is a particular pleasure; I'm a hopeless sucker for them.

Thanks for the replies. I will post some updates as i get the tools cleaned up. I will probably get my saw doctor to give them a going over to start with then maybe take the plunge on sharpening them myself after that. Jimi ive seen your thread on the 43 which is very impressive. i will get it sharpened up and have a go with it. Mines missing the spare blades and there is no depth stop either.

cheers

Jon

Back