Solvent based lacquers-ok for wardrobe in child's bedroom?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Prizen

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all

I am aware of the health hazards while spraying acid lacquers. I've a tin of morrells one pack clear lacquer and I may use if over some oak veneered MDF wardrobe for my 2 year olds bedroom.

Is there any health hazards (off gassing) associated with this stuff once fully cured?

I assume not, but obviously want to be 100% sure. Unfortunately I can't get any water based lacquer.

Thanks

Not sure about one pack.
However 2 pack AC's have a 28 day gassing off preiod.
We spray childrens furniture with PU which has a quicker gassing off time.

Provided you don't install the day after spraying, leave it a month then there should be no issues.

Prizen":kpquzzgd said:
Is there any health hazards (off gassing) associated with this stuff once fully cured?
Fully cured?

No … not with normal use, as is generally the case with all normal wood finishes on wooden artefacts, e.g., tables, chairs, cabinets, desks, architectural doors, skirting boards, etc. Slainte.

I’ve recently used little knights paint which is designed for children’s furniture. Good paint too as it contains a lot of pigment

I suspect the wider awareness of chemicals in the home is an issue that is going to become more pertinent. I already have clients requesting oil finishes and water based paints. My next project in which there are many pieces the designers and client have specified specially eco paints. I will only be using solid woods, birch ply and medite ecólogique MDF ( Zero added formaldehyde). A real pain as I have to veneer the bases for some twenty odd drawers onto ply.
I remember with horror a few years ago seeing a tin of paint - for spraying, with a label stating ‘harmful to the unborn child’.

With the advent of Breeam requirements becoming more commonplace on commercial level projects, I think it’s only a matter of time that this filters through to domestic projects. I am more conscious of the materials and finishes I use on personal projects for my house because of the information I’ve gleaned through projects at work. Considering how grim AC, pre-cat and PU paints are when they are being applied and in the drying booth, it surprises me that people haven’t switched over to water based and zero voc paints sooner.

Back