Solid oak!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woodchips2

Established Member
Reaction score
A few months ago on my country ramble, after a fairly breezy night, I came across a fallen branch of an oak tree. It was a substantial limb that had broken off and I wondered if the very dry summer had caused it because the wind hadn't been that strong. Then today I came across the same tree which had been cut down and the pictures show the reason why the branch probably fell off! From looking at the tree you would never have guessed that so much of the heart had gone.

Attachments

• Oak-trunk.jpg
    Oak-trunk.jpg
    201.2 KB · Views: 251
  • Oak stump.jpg
    Oak stump.jpg
    238 KB · Views: 251
Oddly,I have heard that hollow trees are actually less likely to be blown down, alhtough they may perhaps be more likely to shed limbs. Really old oaks are usually hollow.

Jim

Hats off to the guy who had to fell that. As the first picture shows, you can't get the straight - across hinge of the face cut with a hollow trunk and have to be very careful to leave it equal on each side. Plenty hairy.

Too much water Andy - either from below or (more likely) from a wound above. The sap wood is unscathed as still living and growing but the heart wood is completely gone.
Fortunately most fungi that live on wood decompose dead wood and leave the living intact.

Back