SOLID OAK BOARD??

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

samlarsen

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello All,

My mate has bought some bookcases recently which are oak. The chap that made the furniture told my mate he buys the timber already jointed into 6' x 3' by 3/4" boards. He then chops these up to make the bookcases. Thus making a big job, quite a bit smaller.

The boards look very similar to that rather handy pine board (OK i'll hang my head in shame) that you can buy all over the place.

Anybody know where one can lay one's hands on such oak boards, as it would be very handy for bodging up a built-in TV unit for someone else that's been pestering for a while.

I've tried all the usual local sources, and they all look at me as if I'm mad. Maybe you will too!

Cheers

Apart from asking the chap who worked for your mate ...

You could try SL Hardwoods. I once bought some boards as you describe from them but that was years ago before their previous place burnt down, when they still milled stuff themselves. I have no idea if they still do them.

Sl hardwoods definitely do oak to size, kiln dried ready to work.Try their web site.Last time I visited them they were very obliging and helpful.

Back