Solid hardwood board ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aphexxx

Reaction score
Hello all! Does anyone know where I can buy 4x8ft hardwood board? It is made of lots of small pieces of wood joined together to make a board in the same way kitchen work tops are often made. I have had no joy searching the web as yet but know it exists in a variety of thicknesses. :D :?

Hi aphexxx,

Welcome to the forum. :D

Sorry but I have no idea were too get the hardwood board from. :( Does it need to be solid hardwood? Could you use veneered ply or mdf?

Its solid hardwood Im after not veneered ply or mdf. When I was a trainee furniture maker working for a small 3 person company they baught some to make an oak library for a country house. Maybe it can only be baught in bulk purchases?

Aphexx,

In the Eden's catalogue www.edens.co.uk (for example), there are a bunch of stave made block boards, but they are all kitchen worksurface dimensions ie not 8x4. I imagine you can get it but it may well be a special. Plus min thickness is 26mm.

Cheers

Tim

I have only seen it made from pine, and over an 8ft length the individual boards are often end-to-end jointed. Isn't it called 'Cabinet Board'?
You would normally joint your own hardwood boards together with biscuits. I would think 8x4 of jointed board (e.g. an oak table top) would cost you at least £200 in timber, and even if you do the smile-and-frown jointing it could still cup, which is probably why you can't buy it ready jointed in the retail sector.
I would have thought that nearly all furniture builders would use veneered MDF for large panels.

A few years ago I bought a similar board to the one you're searching for but it was made out of pine. The term the merchants used to describe the board was 'edge laminated'. The pine board cost me £50 so I should imagine that, as Jarviser says, one made of oak would cost substantially more. So far as I'm aware, the only edge laminated boards that are available are made of pine.

One of the problems with edge laminated boards is that of stability. The individual strips of wood all have a tendency to cup over time and to expand/contract. Veneered panels of MDF and plywood are inherently more stable, cheaper to produce and give a more uniform finish. If I was looking to create a large flat oak surface, I'd certainly be much happier using an oak veneered panel rather than an edge laminated board.

Gill

I remember now that they did call it edge laminate. Thanks.

Im just weighing up some prices, and remember that my boss saved allot of money in time using edge laminate board made from japanese oak. :D :? :wink:

Have you thoght about using engineered timber? That comes in large sheet sizes and is stable.

Scrit

aphexxx

Probably of no help whatsoever to you but they do it in some of the French DIY sheds in oak, alder and beech.

Welcome to the forum anyway :D

Cheers

Winwood sell 8'x4' solid timber panels in many (i.e 10 or so) species. They also sell 3 core solid timber panels, where the inner core is made up of lesser quality timber and is oriented in a cross direction to the face material. Board thickness varies from about 18mm to maybe 45mm. Yes, £200 would be an approximate price but I feel that compares favourably to the cost of manufacturing these yourself.

URL as below.
http://www.winwood-products.co.uk/eng/timber-products/edge-glued_panels.htm

I use laminated or edge glued pine panels all the time, a good price for 18mm grade A panels when bought in bulk in Ireland is about £25 to £28 +VAT.

I have contacted Winwood about purchasing from them but the minimum order for delivery to Ireland is 20 tonnes or about 750 panels... :shock: ... far too much for me.

Solid hardwood worktops are mass produced and are sold for little more than the cost of the equivelent rough sawn planks, in other words very cheaply in my opinion... recently i bought a 3m x 650mm x 40mm thick solid beech worktop, pre oiled, from Noyeks, for about £160 + VAT, not 100% certain about price, it was in Ireland and priced in €€€€'s.

Cheers
Joe

newbieblyth":1he7uymp said:
Spotted this whilst googling today:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Euro-Oak-Edge...QQihZ007QQcategoryZ112570QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

And remembered this thread, obviously I have not tried them but the price looked quite attractive and I could think of a few uses for them, what do the rest of you think, too good to be true.. worth a punt?

Those boards work out at about 1/2 cu.ft. So £60 cu.ft. More than double the price of buying it and glueing up yourself. Depending on the project, I imagine that there would be a lot of waste too. Personally, I would just make them myself.

Back