Solenoid Motor

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fun device. I thought at first it was a perpetual motion machine! :)

This is the second of my solenoid engines/motors, designed to have some elements of the Harley-Davidon V-twin

This engine makes me smile every time I run it and makes me wonder if I should scale it up, improve the power and make an electric bike that looks like an early Harley....hmmm

Nigel.....Harley mmmmm, thats sound a good thing/project for winter nights....
or the Covid holiday at home experience.....
luv to see it.....

I think you could make any configuration you like, they are quite fun to make. I would like to increase the force of each "piston" and then make a motor of this design that will drive something like a desk fan maybe.

Sometimes people take your design and improve it. Henk Kaan used my plans for the solenoid motor and selected different materials to produce a sharper looking model.

henk-kaan-solenoid-01.jpg

More details of Henk's material selection and build.

henk-kaan-solenoid-06.JPG

This little machine is a great desktop toy and easy to make over a weekend, especially a rainy weekend.

I've been looking to make the solenoid motor powerful enough to drive a toy vehicle.

I've improved the stator of the solenoid by reducing gaps and wrapping the coil in a cast iron dust/swarf and epoxy mix. I increased the size of the armature magnets and overall have a 5x increase in force. More details: Solenoid Tractor - glue-it.com

Latest video of the motor running, just need to connect the crank to the wheels.

Good stuff to play around with a learn some electrical principles but it suffers from the same issue as the steam engine and the ICE in that you need to convert linear motion to rotary motion which the electric motor has overcome and will have much higher efficiency.

To increase the power of the solenoid motor you could use two coils that are powered alternatively or for even more power two coils and switch the polarity so now each coil would push and pull.

Good stuff to play around with a learn some electrical principles but it suffers from the same issue as the steam engine and the ICE in that you need to convert linear motion to rotary motion which the electric motor has overcome and will have much higher efficiency.

To increase the power of the solenoid motor you could use two coils that are powered alternatively or for even more power two coils and switch the polarity so now each coil would push and pull.
The coil is double acting, no need to reverse the polarity. However, I could have two coils and increase the stroke and power them separately, thanks for the idea.

It was never meant to be a replacement, more just a fun design to play with.

Brilliant little motors, I love the idea of a long stroke v twin bicycle or a boxer!
The single cylinder Marshall tractor is really lovely to watch and sounds right.

Finally with the trim painted silver

20230410_143919(1).jpg

Is this close enough to a Field Marshall or a single cylinder tractor of that period?

A comparison between the sounds of a real Field Marshall and the solenoid powered model tractor

hope you like the inspiration I found in the sound

Back