SOLD: Ferm Biscuit Jointer

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OPJ

Established Member
Reaction score
For anyone who may be interested (this particular model had good reviews on this site a couple of years ago), I bought this item brand-new just over two-years-ago and it has had only light, occasional use in my garage/workshop.

2236888252_04096dccaa.jpg

I do have two issues with this tool, which is why I have just this week bought myself a Makita jointer to replace this one.

First of all, the Bristol lever which locks the height/depth setting seems to have very little or no effect on maintaining the fence's position. You can set it to cut biscuit slots at precisely half the thickness of your boards but, as you work your way down the boards length and look at what you have cut, you will notice that the fence has moved and your slots are out of alignment. I don't know how to fix this. The threw on the bolt and in the lever are fine. Perhaps hacksawing a relief slot in to the casting around one of the vertical bars would allow it to grip the bar more tightly?

Secondly, there's the issue of the blade and fence not being parallel. It isn't a huge difference and, if I'm only going to plane and sand the surface after the boards have been jointed then, it's not a problem. I can see no way of adjusting this although I you should be able to shim it with some strips of masking tape on to one side of the fence.

The other option, in both situations here, is to use the jointer flat on its base and add scraps of MDF/ply beneath until you reach the desired position on the board's edge. I have done this many times and find it works very well indeed.

2236888394_53aeea07b9.jpg

It also comes complete with everything that was there when I first bought it; including box and manual.

2236888576_0921673b7d.jpg

Ferm FBJ-710 Biscuit Jointer
Voltage 230v
Frequency 50Hz
Power Input 710w
No Load Speed 1,100/min
Blade diameter 100mm
Max. cutting depth 18mm
Fence Adjustment 0-90º
Spindle Dimension M10
Weight 3.0kg
Lpa (sound pressure) 89.6dB(A)
Lwa (sound power level) 102.6dB(A)
Vibration Value 1.9m/s²

Ideally, I'm looking for £25 including delivery for this item. If you are willing and able to pick it up from me, I'll let it go for £15 (last time I posted one of these, it was almost £10). If you are interested, please contact me. I'll give it a couple of weeks before listing it on eBay, if not.

Alternatively, if you have a solution for either of the aforementioned problems, I'd be keen to hear from you - as would any potential buyers, I'm sure.

Thanks for your time. :)

Hi Fella,

i am new to this site and found it through the old google search engine. I will offer you £20 for this item posted if this is ok

Great description

Cheers

Andyt

Sorry, Andy, but I sold this item shortly after listing it here... Back in 2008! ;-)

Latest posts

Back