• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to UK Workshop and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

SOLD: Axminster HSS Woodturning Tools & RP 8" Bench Grinder

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Simon_M

Established Member
Reaction score
*** Items now all sold ***

I have an Axminster HSS Woodturning Tools Set and also a Bench Grinder with Andrew Hall woodturning jigs for sharpening

Chisels are £40 for the set.
The grinder/jigs are £55 (complete).

PM me for additional info. Buyer collects (Hampshire).

Kind regards
Simon

Axminster HSS Woodturning Tools Set
  • 3/8" Bowl gouge
    1" Roughing gouge
    3/8" Spindle gouge
    3/4" Round nose scraper
    3/8" Parting tool
    1" Oval skew chisel
Record Power 8" Bench Grinder with 40 mm White Stone
The model is RSBG8 8" Bench Grinder with 40 mm White Stone.

RP 8 Bench Grinder.jpg

Two sharpening jigs for all the basic woodturning tool profiles e.g. for Skew/Parting and Normal/Fingernail type "grinds". The jigs are from Andrew Hall (who is a professional woodturner known for his "Hats"). See: https://youtu.be/nP4q3j0sqFY or https://www.recordpower.co.uk

There's also a diamond dressing tool for the aluminium oxide white wheel - to clean it up.

I have seen Andrew give club demos several times and he also kindly put the initial "grind" on my woodturning chisels using his jigs. He also provided me with an hours top (DVD quality) video instruction on how/why to use his jigs with the RP Bench Grinder - filmed in his workshop.

I have also advertised my Axminster AWVSL1000 woodturning lathe and floor stand (£230) - search For Sale forum for details.

Attachments

• RP 8 Bench Grinder.jpg
    RP 8 Bench Grinder.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 561
Deadeye":2x7gr5w7 said:
Hello
Interested in the grinder and jigs. Do you have a photo of the jigs?
IMG_0767.jpg

Hi Deadeye, I've sent you a PM with links to the videos.

Not shown is a 3/4" plywood board that "lifts" the Bench Grinder so that the jigs are at the "correct height" for the size of wheel.

There are two options for use:
  • A) Mount RP Bench Grinder and jigs on a workbench (static solution)
    B) Mount RP Bench Grinder and jigs on a second piece of 3/4" plywood (portable solution)

The RP Bench Grinder is very smooth - so it won't "wander off" and doesn't need to be bolted down, however the jig extends a long way back for very long tools so it's a good idea to clamp the "portable solution" to a workbench (if only for peace of mind).

For anyone else who wants to see Andrew's video on how it's used I can provide a link to Dropbox - PM for info.

These jigs work as follows: using the LH jig provides a stable mount for sharpening skews etc. where a stable angular support is required. This replaces the "rest" on the RP grinder and provides a much better solution.

For gouges etc. the RH jig is used. The handle of the tool is placed in the holder which is telescopic and allows tools with short/long handles to be used. This provides a good solution for applying a normal grind. For swept back gouges the 3rd jig is placed in the second jig and the tool can be moved an an arc to also provide the swept back grind.

The Aluminium Oxide wheel provides a "friable surface" which gives a good edge on woodturning tools. The simplicity and strength of the jigs allows frequent and repeatable sharpening of woodturning tools. One advantage of the layout is the ability to use the jigs on either side as they are interchangeable.

The jigs are not built down to a price IMHO and provide a very "industrial solution" as you would expect from Andrew Hall , so it's not a huge surprise that they are popular with his students and it certainly got my attention at a club meeting. as Andrew says" woodturning is much more enjoyable with sharp tools".

PM me for more info and kind regards
Simon

Attachments

• IMG_0767.jpg
    IMG_0767.jpg
    385.9 KB · Views: 391
New plywood mount:

IMG_0820.jpeg

Woodturning Tools - posted Tuesday 15.10.2019 received Thursday 17.10.2019 - DELIVERED
RP Bench Grinder and Jigs - collected Thursday 17.10.2019 - SOLD

Kind regards
Simon

Attachments

• IMG_0820.jpeg
    IMG_0820.jpeg
    431 KB · Views: 304
Back