Soft Resin Coaster.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shaggy

Established Member
Reaction score
I’ve had a go at making some beer bottle top coasters covered in clear resin and was wondering how long it takes for resin to harden. The resin feels dry but I can mark it with my finger nail without much pressure. I did the first pour on Sunday to set the tops and part cover, then did a final top up on Monday.
Does it take few days to fully harden or have I messed up the resin mix so it will stay soft?

can you tell us the particular resin and mix ratio you have used. generally if you have mixed it right it will take 24 hours to be touchable but up to a week to fully cure and harden depending on ambient temp

It’s a Chinese one From “SigWong” high gloss crystal clear, 1:1 mix ratio. I’ll give it a few days and if it doesn’t harden I’ll have to drink more beer and try again;).

Mixing it for the required period is really important. I learned this the hard way with some Liquid Glass - the first batch didn't want to set, and it seems to be because I didn't stir it constantly for the required full 5 minutes. It set reasonably well, eventually - but it took weeks, and was never as hard as subsequent tries.

May have been too cold in the shed for the first night before I brought them into the house. I'll see how they go in the next few days.

Thanks.

If it is humid it will delay hardening. Mixing is also very important. I weigh my resin and hardner.

I use glass cast resin. When it's fully cured you can't mark it with your nail. This takes about 48 - 72hrs

Casting temperature is about 21 degrees, but they tell me it's OK down to 15deg.
For mixing I use some old whisks in a cordless drill along with scraping the sides and bottom.
Check out "positive couple" on YouTube - he does some really big resin pours.

Back