Sofa Table in American Cherry

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarcW

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Yesterday I finished a new sofa table and wanted to share with you.

sofatable25.JPG

It's made of American Cherry and measures 120 x 80 x 42 cm. Inspiration came from a George II table, above all legs and molding, from a krenovanian top bevel and from the colonial style of my bookshelf, the inner batten part of the top.

Work was all done by hand tools except thicknessing and rip cuts (circular saw).

The top frame and the legs are M/T, tenons of the legs are haunched.

WIP and two other photos of the finished table are here on my blog.

Thanks for looking :wink:

Oh, not normally a fan of Cherry, but that' lovely. Especially like the batten top, never seen that before.

Well Done

Very nice Marc, I do like the look of that. Hand tools! I wouldn't have the patients for that mate, I admire your dedication though. I like the moulding round the bottom edge very nice touch. :D

Technically that's not a sofa table but besides that it's a realy nicely finished piece, might have made the legs slightly thicker but the top is perfect, can we have a better view of the layout of boards? Thanks

Aidan

Looks great and I love furniture made from cherry, worth the sweating and swearing to get a good finish

Hi,

Thank you all for positive comments, I highly appreciate them.

I took a look in Joyce's Encyclopedia and now I know it is a coffee table or occasional table. I never heard of the latter. Anyway thanks for pointing me to it Aidan.

I'll be back with a better photo of the boards tomorrow.

I like the idea of a slatted table top but something worries me...how do you clean between the stats if you spill a cup of coffee on them, or have I missed something? - Rob

Thats a lovely piece of work! I always like seeing your projects Marc, I really like your sensibility of using hand-tools, definitly gives your work some soul.

I wouldn't change the legs at all, I think they are the right size for the piece and give the top the emphasis.

Your home is going to look a cracker with all those excellent pieces you are making.

Last weekend we had a small bash in my home. After looking at the table someone pointed out mental sigh in his eyes the photos would betray and yes, now the legs seemed okay to him. I wanted the overall shape elegant and crispy, not sturdy. That's why I made them that thin.

Indeed I hesitated on the slats - it should have been glass - and the molding. How to give it the right dimension? The legs, yes, first I planned to turn them. During this project I liked above all how the table came together from an idea in a stylish furniture shop and turned into something different and autonomous by inspirations coming from several sources. This process took its time like a good backsaw has its speed, you can't force it otherwise you will miss the marking. At least that's my experience.

The finish is an oil mix: camelia, tung and orange.
Just one coat with a brush.
Thoroughly soaked up excess after twenty minutes with a rag. Watch out, maybe this step has to be redone after a few minutes.
The tung oil needs 2 weeks to crystallise. If you ever want to make a second coat, wait until then.

Back