Sodalite

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

Democritus

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Hi guys
There’s a video on YouTube by Sprague (a Canadian woodturner ) setting out a method for fixing a funnelled bowl, ie a bowl in which the bottom has been broken through. (We’ve all done it!). It seems like a good rescue. Anyway, in the course of this fix, he did some inlay type-work using something called ‘sodalite’. I’ve looked it up on the web, and it’s some kind of semi-precious stone, crystals of which are said, by some people (fruitcakes) , to have magical properties . Sprague used a powdery version, which produced a very attractive finish.
I can’t find anywhere selling this stuff. Has anyone used it and knows where its obtainable?
D.

Droogs

Is that chisel shar ... Ow
Reaction score
Can't find it in fine powder form. this is the smallest "grit" i could find from my semi precious stones suppliers

you would have to crush it up yourself to get it finer.

marcros

Established Member
Reaction score
Maybe you need to be a true believer to know where to get it?

Have a look on Etsy for crushed sodalite. I didn't check whether they were UK sellers but there was loads.

Democritus

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Cheers Droogs and Marcos.
You might be right, Marcos. I searched on Google for it, but Etsy didn’t come up. Spooky or what?
D.

Democritus

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Cheers, Kim
Don’t know why it didn’t come up on any of my searches, but there’s obviously tons of the stuff out there.
D