Social distancing, .. what's that?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
To be clear, I am not advocating a position of blindly following science. I myself am not an expert in medical science but take a keen interest in following what is going on with Covid in an attempt to further my understanding. That members of the public wish to learn and be better informed about the decisions being taken is to be commended. If nothing else, it makes for more informed choices at the ballot box. Where I take issue is with people who have limited/no scientific training or understanding of the scientific method, yet see fit to wildly misinterpret expert disagreement to fit their own, often poorly informed, opinions with wholly inappropriate levels of certainty, to the great detriment of society. See anti-vaxxers, climate change deniers et al.

You are also looking at this through only one eye of the telescope - preventing covid spread. Who is to say that is the great threat of the day? What about non covid deaths, job losses, economic stagnation, suicide, making ourselves poorer etc. ? As long as no one gets covid though - the "killer" virus most people are unaware theyve even had!!

You're entirely missing the point. The fact that excess deaths due to Covid are in any way comparable to levels of other serious seasonal disease such as influenza strains is down to the efforts made to limit the spread of the virus.

Yes but... did we need to lockdown the country and economy to achieve this? Swedish evidence says no. It was clear early on who were the most vulnerable yet we locked down the healthy too. There is nothing wrong with saying "we got this bit wrong and that bit right".

And our recording of Covid deaths appears to be inaccurate

You're entirely missing the point. The fact that excess deaths due to Covid are in any way comparable to levels of other serious seasonal disease such as influenza strains is down to the efforts made to limit the spread of the virus. We don't have a parallel UK to trial an experiment of taking no precautions and seeing what happened compared to how we have fared, but all the models I have seen painted very grim outcomes from such a scenario. Scientists disagree on models and results - that's the nature of dealing in those fields - that doesn't make the course of action we have taken the wrong one. The consensus opinion I have seen is that we were too slow to act initially, took steps to limit the spread much later than we should and suffered the consequences, but the steps we have taken were in time to prevent an even worse outcome. We are now trying to feel our way through opening things up as much as possible whilst taking every precaution to limit transmission whilst we await development of a vaccine that will hopefully limit community transmission. Details of our strategy are being poorly handled and questioned (test and trace, for example) but the overall strategy in big picture terms is not in any significant scientific question as far as I can tell.

Analogous in some ways to the Millenium bug - remember that? Oh, how everyone laughed afterwards and said it was such a waste of money, but the point was that the precautions taken had been effective in preventing a worse outcome. Of course, expert opinions vary on just what that alternative might have looked like, but the general point is that disaster was averted by effective planning and mitigation.

No we have a parallel Sweden instead that shows with minimal, almost none in fact, intervention you achieve an almost identical level of mortality.

You mean like Andrew Wakefield was cited in the context of the safety of the MMR vaccine? Beware of placing trust in individuals, no matter their qualifications. By all means listen to their arguments, but the more they are an outlier to consensus the more one should be sceptical and scrutinise their evidence and motive. The enormous success of the scientific method is in building consensus through scepticism and peer review - consensus in the scientific community should not be easily thrown aside (although not treated as sacred).

Andrew Wakefield was one doctor, not a scientist, whose crackpot assertions were shut down immediately by other scientists. It was the media that was at fault there.
The scientists I have quoted are not crackpot loners and they have sound data and experience to back up their claims, some of them are quite literally in charge of their countries pandemic responses.

EDIT: At least one I quoted is a Nobel Prize winner. So please don't bring up people like Wakefield as a straw man to bolster your poor argument.

Last edited:
Something else to consider with testing, false positives.
I don't have an accuracy figure for the UK test as I wasn't able to find out what we are using but I have seen the accuracy for the German test and it is 98.2%. I have seen figures of 97% and 99% for the UK test, but I also saw a figure of only 70% accuracy.
So for the sake of argument I am going to say that our test is 98% accurate to keep the numbers simple and that is probably a fair number as well.
The UK is currently doing approx 200k tests per day. Therefore the number of false positives per day would be around 4,000. The number of positive cases in the UK yesterday was 1,508. Draw your own conclusions from that.

I don't have an accuracy figure for the UK test as I wasn't able to find out what we are using but I have seen the accuracy for the German test and it is 98.2%. I have seen figures of 97% and 99% for the UK test, but I also saw a figure of only 70% accuracy.
So for the sake of argument I am going to say that our test is 98% accurate to keep the numbers simple and that is probably a fair number as well.
The UK is currently doing approx 200k tests per day. Therefore the number of false positives per day would be around 4,000. The number of positive cases in the UK yesterday was 1,508. Draw your own conclusions from that.

I think your logic may be flawed in assuming the the 2% of inaccurate tests were false positives. They may equally well be false negatives.

If the 196000 accurate tests each day produced 1500 positives, perhaps one could assume that ~ 0.7% tests are positive - thus the "missed" positives were ~ 30 (4000 x 0.7%)

All very interesting, but you don't have to be a genius or have a degree to comprehend that something, practically everything about the whole covid thing stinks.
A illness with a 99.6% recovery rate shuts down the world.
Millions poured into developing a vaccine while many more serious afflictions are ignored.
The virus is so deadly you have to have a test to see if you have it.
It's so contagious that you must wear a face covering, but you can throw that contaminated face covering in the bin or on the ground and it's no threat.

I think your logic may be flawed in assuming the the 2% of inaccurate tests were false positives. They may equally well be false negatives.

If the 196000 accurate tests each day produced 1500 positives, perhaps one could assume that ~ 0.7% tests are positive - thus the "missed" positives were ~ 30 (4000 x 0.7%)

The test has a built in control test of it's own to prevent false negatives so they are incredibly rare, statistically insignificant, less than 1 in 100,000. It is not my logic anyway, it is the logic of Carl Hennigan, someone eminently qualified to know this stuff.

We have a margin of error of between 0 and 4000, but we are basing policy on a figure of 1,500.

But the scientists on sage are purporting a range of views. It is the politicians who are deciding which tack to take

It's interesting that you have information on the range of views purported by a scientific group whose membership is not publicly declared (except by those who have chosen to identify) and whose minutes are not made public. More generally though, I never implied that the scientists on SAGE had a single unified view on all matters - indeed I would be concerned if they did, particularly given the dynamic situation of a pandemic caused by a previously unknown virus about which we hadbecause that implies "group think" - but I do trust them to consider the range of views expressed by its membership and for them to then have an evidence-led debate before drawing well-reasoned conclusions and recommendations. It is the whole process followed that leads to good quality recommendations being made, in combination with the talents of the members, that makes it trustworthy.

You are also looking at this through only one eye of the telescope - preventing covid spread. Who is to say that is the great threat of the day? What about non covid deaths, job losses, economic stagnation, suicide, making ourselves poorer etc. ? As long as no one gets covid though - the "killer" virus most people are unaware theyve even had!!

Well that is a balanced decision that needs to be made by those in power. Most responsible democracies have trodden similar paths given the risks to their population and in particular the limited capacity of healthcare systems to cope with rapid, widespread transmission. You are surely aware of the initial difficulties faced in Italy when hospitals became overwhelmed with Covid patients, the modelling done by Imperial College around March-time which showed that UK excess deaths would be in the hundreds of thousands if nothing was done to prevent transmission etc.? You are of course most welcome to disagree with the decisions taken and vote out the government at the next election (in fact, please do just that), but decisions have been taken by our government in the declared interest of public safety and preventing harm and assuming you're a law-abiding citizen it's part of your contract with the state to respect these restrictions in order to protect others. Or by all means move to the USA or Brazil where they didn't follow the same path if you disagree - things are going well there, I hear.

Yes but... did we need to lockdown the country and economy to achieve this? Swedish evidence says no. It was clear early on who were the most vulnerable yet we locked down the healthy too. There is nothing wrong with saying "we got this bit wrong and that bit right".

And our recording of Covid deaths appears to be inaccurate
No we have a parallel Sweden instead that shows with minimal, almost none in fact, intervention you achieve an almost identical level of mortality.

Information on Sweden taken from here: Is Sweden's coronavirus strategy a cautionary tale or a success story? - firstly it's important to recognise that whilst Sweden has not had enforced compulsory lockdowns in the same way as other countries, there is plenty of evidence that there have been significant voluntary changes in their behaviour to limit community spread. Their cases of Covid per 100,000 population are also running about double ours and higher than other neighbouring countries, with much higher deaths per population compared to neighbours as well. Their economy has taken a significant hit, less than the European average but worse than some other European countries who did have compulsory lockdowns. So the evidence from Sweden compared with other European countries is mixed. Bear in mind also that Sweden has a population density less than 10% of the UK and I suggest a much more compliant population (remember the public's response here to impending lockdown was to cram into town centres and pubs on a Friday night?), I think to draw evidence from Sweden as being directly relevant to the UK should be done very cautiously. I fully support an independent public enquiry to draw out such comparisons and learn lessons. Covid deaths being inaccurate? You're not wrong - due to inadequate testing in the early stages amongst other things, the official figure is at least 20% down on the true number from analysis of ONS data on excess deaths.

Andrew Wakefield was one doctor, not a scientist, whose crackpot assertions were shut down immediately by other scientists. It was the media that was at fault there.
The scientists I have quoted are not crackpot loners and they have sound data and experience to back up their claims, some of them are quite literally in charge of their countries pandemic responses.

EDIT: At least one I quoted is a Nobel Prize winner. So please don't bring up people like Wakefield as a straw man to bolster your poor argument.

Forgive me, but I don't see a single quote in your posts on this thread. If I have missed any, then please highlight them. Wakefield's paper was published in the Lancet; his co-authors didn't issue a retraction until 6 years after publication. It's very easy to highlight someone as a "crackpot" after the event, but if he was always identified as such then why did a respected medical journal publish his paper? I'm sure you can find respected scientists who disagree with consensus on points - scientists are fundamentally sceptical people who question things. I'm sure I could equally find respected scientists (with or without accolades such as Nobel prizes) who generally support the measures that have been taken and probably ones who argue we have not gone far enough. The point I am repeatedly making is that, as attractive as it might be to pick out dissenting voices that agree with your viewpoint (particularly if they appear well qualified), there is a reason why the consensus view of people who know what they are talking about carries so much weight.

Here you are suffering from a logical fallacy. The accuracy of a test is determined by sensitivity (the rate of false negatives) and specificity (the rate of false positives). All the information I have seen on Covid tests is that the sensitivity is much worse than the specificity (i.e. the rate of false positives is much lower than the false negatives, which is the "accuracy" you will see commonly quoted if not qualified with which measure it is referring to). I have seen specificity figures for many of the tests developed at better than 99.8%. Furthermore, the specificity would not change with time - we see clear trends developing in our case statistics that are strongly indicative of real virus spread (clusters of cases, for example). If positive cases were mainly associated with errors in specificity, then the statistics would mainly be noise - we don't see this.

All very interesting, but you don't have to be a genius or have a degree to comprehend that something, practically everything about the whole covid thing stinks.
Millions poured into developing a vaccine while many more serious afflictions are ignored.
It's so contagious that you must wear a face covering, but you can throw that contaminated face covering in the bin or on the ground and it's no threat.

So the whole world has given itself an enormous economic shock because of a conspiracy to line the pockets of vaccine developers? Or hand gel manufacturers, perhaps? You think that Trump and co. are hoping that this is doing them some favours in an election year perhaps, because it's making them look great compared to their peers? Please. This line of argument doesn't stand up to even the most basic scrutiny.

Have I stumbled across a meeting of the flat earth society?

I say let’s wait and see.

Quite possibly!

We have members all around the globe.

Very punny.

I don't believe you ................ I say this because my video continued to work, they said it wouldn't but it did.;)

"They" weren't trying to sell you a DVD player at the time were they? ;)

[QUOTE="siggy_7, post: 1381575, member: 1274

artie said:

So the whole world has given itself an enormous economic shock because of a conspiracy to line the pockets of vaccine developers? Or hand gel manufacturers, perhaps? You think that Trump and co. are hoping that this is doing them some favours in an election year perhaps, because it's making them look great compared to their peers? Please. This line of argument doesn't stand up to even the most basic scrutiny.

[/QUOTE]

You wrote something below a quote of my post.

I have read it a few times but can't see how it relates to what I said.
I never mentioned conspiracy, hand gel, Trump, elections and I made no argument. I fail to see why you put that below my post

I also read through the rest of your writings below quotes of other peoples posts, I notice you have a talent for saying quite a lot without really saying anything.

I don't really understand what you were trying to imply then when you said that "practically everything about this whole covid thing stinks". I would certainly agree that a novel virus which has so far infected in excess of 25M people and killed almost 900k (both likely underestimates) sucks, as do the drastic measures we've had to take to prevent much greater contagion and their effect on the economy etc. But to say that it stinks implies to me that you accuse either gross incompetence or conspiracy, which you go on to infer with other statements about recovery rates etc. I, apparently wrongly, assumed you inferred conspiracy, since I don't think the competence of the many thousands of scientists working on this is really in question. Apologies if I did get this wrong and you really do think you know better than all of these experts - kind of leads back to my earlier point.

Anyway, you'll probably be pleased to hear I have no interest in contributing further to this thread. I didn't intend to get drawn into debating these points, statements like yours above show this is largely a fruitless exercise and life is too short for me to waste my time with it.

I think the competence of the scientists needs to be questioned, not the direct science, i.e. working for a vaccine but the direction we take (lockdown, masks, distancing, quarantines) has been extremely muddled and un coordinated not just from politicians but scientists as well.

Rorscharch, you really do have alzheimers. we've been here before with the published excess death figures for the first 1/4 of this year and low and behold they were rather much higher than expected. You had a big massive mong on about being pointed out to be wrong :)
Mmm excess deaths could sending all the elderly out of hospital into care homes or elsewhere and isolation where we watched many of them die and the ceasing of cancer treatments and other serious conditions halted now we have the wearing of masks which stops you getting rid of the carbon dioxide and reduces oxygen intake lowering the bodies immune system and financial ruin. Maybe just maybe those are the reason for the very slight increase in the death total. People you need to wake up your rights are being eroded big tech are censoring censuring professional people from speaking out. Google, Facebook etc are only letting you see what fits the agenda. Bill gates and his vaccination agenda is set to earn him trillions and it will cause more damage. Wake up a vaccine takes up to 20 years to produce safely and now they are not placebo tested is a scam and you are blindly walking into a disaster for humanity.

A plandemisist. Really! All controlled by the Illuminati who have managed to hide 1000 years of human history in the Dark Ages and been in total world control since then steering us to be well behaved pets. But oops, something went wrong and the pets got out of control and managed to overbreed and take over. Get real

I really despair when reading threads like this. There are tens of thousands of really bright people around the world who have spent their lives working in the relevant specialist fields working on this problem. What thought process occurs in the layman to reach the conclusion that they can possibly know better? I get that trust in government institutions is low - blame that on the clots at the top - but on committees like SAGE there are a lot of really bright people doing the best anyone possibly can to inform decision making. It's not just Covid, we see the same behavioural pattern repeated across wide ranges of topics. I genuinely think that our naivety in providing the technology and platforms to allow the type of disinformation seen here to spread will be our undoing as a species.
Like Neil Ferguson and his 500,00 death toll. That silly person caused the fear and massive overreaction that's put this country on the brink of financial ruin.

A plandemisist. Really! All controlled by the Illuminati who have managed to hide 1000 years of human history in the Dark Ages and been in total world control since then steering us to be well behaved pets. But oops, something went wrong and the pets got out of control and managed to overbreed and take over. Get real
You need to get real mate just look at the CDC in the USA now censored by big tech for their report that only 10,000 of the american pandemic death toll is a direct result of civic 19 The CDC is not a quack body or plandemic believer. Take off your mask pal as time goes on the whole scam is unraveling. The sad thing is its people like you who are part of the problem you ridicule and silence/cancel anyone with a different point of view. Wogan once ridiculed David Icke on his TV show it is a damn shame he isn't alive to apologise as he has been proved absolutely right.
As for the person who claims the virus has been isolated is wrong a freedom of information request to the department of health requesting evidence of the virus being isolated was asked for and the reply was it hasn't been isolated and furthermore it was added that it was not possible to isolate covidc19.
The pcr test used to diagnose covid is only testing for genetic material. The person who invented this test did it in relation to HIV for which he won the Nobel prize he has stated clearly that the test should NOT be used to diagnose infectious disease.
Carry on mocking droogs keep on your mask that is your right! It is my rights as it is anyones to disagree. IMO vaccines are unsafe they are not properly tested. Vaccine manufacturers are immune from prosecution. Gates has done serious damage in India and Africa with vaccination programs and vaccination is the agenda behind covid 19. Gates funds the WHO who are setting the covid policies for the world. Anyone with half a brain can see the conflict of interests and can smell a rat. I could go deeper about Whitty,Faucci but that's enough for now

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back