So you deleted the shill thread Mike. Care to explain?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
One man's "vile" (incidentally a much devalued word due to people using it to describe opinions with which they simply disagree) is another man's "reasonable".

If we're going to allow freedom of expression for one, we have to allow it for all. Lenin, Stalin and Mao would have loved it just as much as your candidates.

The internet genie is out of the box. If we do go for something like iris recognition, that would be a first step. But you're never going to be able to deal with the gullible and those who would manipulate them other than by counter argument. Even then, some will be impervious to it.
I'm talking vile as in an entire section titled "watch people die". Should they too free to express themselves?

A site owner can make whatever rules they like and that can include needing to see a scan of a passport if they so wished. It won't happen becase its an invasion of privacy and it will lower incomes from ads.

There will be no magic system, no iris recognition, no govt database to link everything to to prove you are you, that I am me or that he is him.

A site owner can make whatever rules they like and that can include needing to see a scan of a passport if they so wished. It won't happen becase its an invasion of privacy and it will lower incomes from ads.

Maybe sites that introduce identity checks will gain popularity as people try to escape the incessant bullcack on mainstream sites.

Do you think we could ever have a new internet where everyone has a certificate and can be verified. ... I believe in free speech, but not from anonymous sources.
There are a points against that which I feel are important.

First, (IMHO) many people post far too much personal data on various web sites. If real IDs had to be used it would be a lot easier for data on one site to be married up with data about the same person on another site. Identity theft etc would become much easier.

Second, many people like to compartmentalise their lives for quite legitimate reasons. Maybe you don't want your mates in the local Hell's Angels chapter to know about your activities with the Morris Dancing club. Perhaps you don't want your colleagues at work on the building site to know about your flower arranging hobby. So why would you want your real ID be connected with your online posts about either of them?

Finally, you may wish to keep your spare time activities apart from your professional activities. If you apply for a new job it might be nice for searches of your real name to produce work-related material without that being drowned out by hundreds of posts about sharpening techniques or whatever.

First, (IMHO) many people post far too much personal data on various web sites. If real IDs had to be used it would be a lot easier for data on one site to be married up with data about the same person on another site. Identity theft etc would become much easier.

Second, many people like to compartmentalise their lives for quite legitimate reasons. Maybe you don't want your mates in the local Hell's Angels chapter to know about your activities with the Morris Dancing club. Perhaps you don't want your colleagues at work on the building site to know about your flower arranging hobby. So why would you want your real ID be connected with your online posts about either of them?

Finally, you may wish to keep your spare time activities apart from your professional activities. If you apply for a new job it might be nice for searches of your real name to produce work-related material without that being drowned out by hundreds of posts about sharpening techniques or whatever.
Being identifiable by a site admin is not the same as making your information public. Public anonymity is not an issue if there is a mechanism for the site owner or other authorised body to trace the real identity of a person if it is required. I don't think anyone is saying that your details should be readily identified by everyone, just that you can be physically identified if the need arises.

Your actual identity doesn't need to be revealed, merely that the account being used to post has a verieifed owner.

I belong to a friendly little forum where participants have to join using verified real names and submit posts using their first name and surname initial but it still didn't stop a huge row erupting and shredding the forum. Even using verified ID doesn't stop stuff happening

I belong to a friendly little forum where participants have to join using verified real names and submit posts using their first name and surname initial but it still didn't stop a huge row erupting and shredding the forum. Even using verifief ID doesn't stop stuff happening

But at least the moderators knew whose windows to throw bricks through.

I'm talking vile as in an entire section titled "watch people die". Should they too free to express themselves
Unfortunately yes they should. By all means point out the error of their ways if you feel keen, or just ignore them if it offends you. If you cancel them, you will find yourself being cancelled in turn for holding out of date, reactionary or racist/genders views. The internet will end up being controlled by the most angry, and most active group of thought police. That won't include you, and your very non-progressive sharpening practices. You will end up having to bow to the most intransigent minority. Minority Rule Archives - Nassim Taleb

Anonymity isn't brilliant, but any form of censorship is much, much worse. Which is ironic on a thread discussing the censorship and complete removal of a member.

As interesting as this discussion has become, I hope the original questions about what happened to the spam account were sufficiently answered.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back