So you deleted the shill thread Mike. Care to explain?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deadeye

Established Member
Reaction score
Mr Temple drew your attention to a thread cut and pasted from another forum. I chipped in that this was previously seen elsewhere and looked like commercial manipulaiton.

Thread has been deleted.

Fess up or hit delete?

The user that started the thread was a spam account. The user, as well as all posts and threads started by the user, were removed by the built-in Spam routine in XenForo.

The user that started the thread was a spam account. The user, as well as all posts and threads started by the user, were removed by the built-in Spam routine in XenForo.

Great - can you confirm the account has no connection to the (new) owner of this site?

I'm assuming it doesn't - and I'm sorry for the previous insinuation.

Great - can you confirm the account has no connection to the (new) owner of this site?

I'm assuming it doesn't - and I'm sorry for the previous insinuation.
Unless he is vacationing in Hanoi today, there are no connections to the owner of UKW.

Unless he is vacationing in Hanoi today, there are no connections to the owner of UKW.
So was this an attempt to build a deep influencer? Someone that would later comment in political/social threads? That's been seen elsewhere

So was this an attempt to build a deep influencer? Someone that would later comment in political/social threads? That's been seen elsewhere
Who knows what motivates a spammer? Most of the time the software stops the spam accounts during the registration process. For those that do get through, we usually catch them early on, but the accounts rarely survive very long.

Why would anyone want to spam a woodworking forum? If it was connected with makeup, cloths, perfume, handbags or shoes then I can see the potential for trying to be influencial but most of the people on these forums are more knowledgeable and hopefully not swayed by some weirdo spamer with ulterior motives.

Why would anyone want to spam a woodworking forum? If it was connected with makeup, cloths, perfume, handbags or shoes then I can see the potential for trying to be influencial but most of the people on these forums are more knowledgeable and hopefully not swayed by some weirdo spamer with ulterior motives.
You only need to look at the Starett square thread last week to see how lucrative it could be

I missed that. Could you explain. Meant most respectably.

in summary, amazon deal posted up. seemed cheap, several people bought. stock now sold out and deal unavailable. a dozen or so people probably bought based on the initial heads up on here.

I used mine today actually.

Perhaps the spammer has an axe to grind, so by spamming here, they could hone their spamming skills!!

Oh hell Sandyn, don’t get them started on sharpening!
The funny thing was that his two other posts were both questions about metalworking and seemed perfectly normal, One was about a dovetail cutter for a milling machine, and the other was about bearings for a machine which I hadn’t heard of.
Why he decided to cut and paste that post of Adrian's from another site is anybody’s guess but he certainly didn’t seem like a spammer up till that point. Perhaps he was just a sad individual who wanted attention by seeming to post a sensible humorous topic and didn’t realise the interaction of people over here, if he had taken Adrian‘s name off it and reworded it he would probably have got away with it. Ian

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back