So What's In Your (Star Trek) Mug?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodbloke66

Established Member
Reaction score
Following on from the Plane Handling thread (topic120735-15.html) a light hearted look at what's actually in my Star Trek mug (which was purloined from my son when he was about 8...he's now 32) :

IMG_4144.jpg

As you can see, it's pretty full up but what's in it?

First and foremost, several strips of ebony, rosewood and bog oak (I think) which are useful to keep the sole...

IMG_4145.jpg

..of your favourite plane(s) off the bench. The Norris panel plane is an old friend and no longer used by the way, but if you want it, you'll need to grovel to the bank manager :lol: :lol:

Laid out on the bench I have, from left to right....

IMG_4146.jpg

Exotic strips of wood - already discussed
Small paint brush - useful for applying glue to dovetails
Stipple brush - used with hot water for removing glue squeeze out
Bamboo BarBQ skewer - useful for point application of tiny amounts of glue and mixing epoxy
'Sharpie' permanent marker - used for highlighting the honed bevel when grinding a blade on the Tormek
Red roller ball pen - used to mark out dimension lines on working drawings
White pencil - for use on Ebony and Bog Oak
4H pencils - used mostly for marking out when I can't be ar&ed to use a knife :D
Carpenter's pencil - for rough marking out and face edge/side marks
Black biro (fine point) - fantastic for marking out dovetails...try it and see!
Perpsex glue getter offerers :D - bits of perspex shaped on the disc sander into knife blade profiles etc which are ideal to get into corners

So....what's in your Star Trek mug? :D - Rob

Attachments

• IMG_4144.jpg
    IMG_4144.jpg
    247.6 KB · Views: 412
  • IMG_4145.jpg
    IMG_4145.jpg
    247.9 KB · Views: 374
  • IMG_4146.jpg
    IMG_4146.jpg
    250.6 KB · Views: 394
My favourite Star Trek poster. That's what. Dear Nerds, please begin twitching... now
30aba751334d6bdc02e6540ab18b110d.jpg

In my "ugly mug" which is actually a pot, I keep pencils and other ilk, old flashdrives, plug fuses, several rubbers and another rubber... just in case. It's a "rescue mug" pulled out from a recycling bin outside someones house, it's now fed regularly (with pencils) and kept warm, with a nice safe place and a good view outside the window...... (yes really, I'm THAT weird) it seems content :) - but even with all that TLC it STILL has a face like a slapped pinapple... no pleasing some people LOL.

Cardiff?
CARDIFF?????
what part of cardiff are you from? :roll:

I worked all over the south west and south wales for 20 plus years before moving out, and picked up a bit of everything to go with my inner London grounding, but I baint never 'eard a cardiff accent loike 'at un.

There are a couple live in my village from west of plymouth, and they be as broad as broad can be, so sorry Bobbie and Lyn) :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:

sunnybob":7hu6dku2 said:
Cardiff?
CARDIFF?????
what part of cardiff are you from? :roll:

I worked all over the south west and south wales for 20 plus years before moving out, and picked up a bit of everything to go with my inner London grounding, but I baint never 'eard a cardiff accent loike 'at un.

There are a couple live in my village from west of plymouth, and they be as broad as broad can be, so sorry Bobbie and Lyn) :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm not from Cardiff but have worked here for around 40 years and with people from all over the city. This definitely sounds like a West Cardiff/Grangetown trait adding an 's' to the end of verbs like do to does and go to goes. An example is the way Nessa from Gavin and Stacey says 'I loves you'. I even goes to Barry sometimes. :)

Back