So, what is the best moisture resistant mdf?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toolsntat

Yep, I collect tools and tat
Reaction score
Embarrassingly after many years of using this stuff I still get confused as to which is the really good one.
To be clear I'm not on about the exterior quality boards.
Cheers Andy

I like the Kronospan stuff, I find it heavier and denser than most, it's normally found in Wickes.
Many swear by the Medite but I think they do a few different versions, I had some with a different coloured centre 3rd, not found it any better than the Kronospan.
If you want to get fancy then Valchromat.

Ollie

I’m not buying in the quantities Bob does, so am largely limited to what is available locally. The only thing I’d add is to make sure you read up on each product to get the results you need. For example Caberwood Pro machines up very differently to Caberwood Trade. Both are a good product IMO but you’d not think so if you buy the wrong version for the job in hand.

The only thing I’d add is to make sure you read up on each product to get the results you need.
That makes sense, what may be a good choice for one job may be no good for another, so can we expand the question.

Best for workshop worktops and jigs.
Best for taking a routed profile.
Etc Etc

I use a lot and have switched from medite to hidrofugo.

Hi Bob, interested to try this Hydrofugo I need to make some bathroom units. Unusual that it is not green, I have heard it takes paint better.
Is it much more expensive than Medite etc ?

Ollie

Last edited:
That makes sense, what may be a good choice for one job may be no good for another, so can we expand the question.

Best for workshop worktops and jigs.
Best for taking a routed profile.
Etc Etc

I find the Kronospan best for a nice crisp moulding or edge, it just seems to have more resin/ glue in it. It goes less fluffy.
For workshop uses like jigs etc not sure it matters much.

Ollie

That sounds good, I find a lot of MDF seems to go fluffy and takes a lot of sanding. Too many of the wood suppliers here just have MDF or Mr MDF and thats it. Looks like there are suppliers over towards the north east though that mention Kronospan.

Thanks, barring Hidrofugo it sounds like Kronospan is the one then.
About a year ago I had some 6mm from Harlows that had very little substance to it and wasn't even square....
I happened to be chatting to a client about her having some MRMDF butt & bead panelling but couldn't remember the name of the better quality boards.
That said, suppose the next question is whose butt & bead do you find is the best ?
Cheers Andy

Last edited:
Made out of tyicoya.
Iron-Sculpture-3.jpg

This is interesting, I've been approached by someone who's going to make a garden structure out of Medite.

Is it suitable for use outside ?
Only tricoya….medite market it as ”extreme”

I was quoted £246+vat for 18mm last week.

back when I ran a joinery company I used to get 18mm for £104+vat and 9mm for £48+vat

Latest posts

Back