So, what is the best moisture resistant mdf?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Made out of tyicoya.
Iron-Sculpture-3.jpg
The creator of that is who I went to dinner with and ended up with a banging hangover. The trouble is he's found out about the vault and now wants one in MDF!!!

If its so water resistant I wonder if anyone has thought of making a hull from a sheet of it? I'm experimenting with using the scroll saw bowl method to make a little model boat for a book end I'm making for my granddaughter. It would just be a much bigger version. Probably totally a crazy notion.
1637244948127.png
1637244982019.png

Put simply there isn't any MDF that is totally moisture resistant. No matter what the manufacturers tell you.
If these type of products are placed in moisture environments they will eventually fail in some way.
Best advice is keep any manmade woodboard away from moisture environments.

just contacted Medite to get a list of suppliers in my area and they only deliver to industrial units and above £500 (more than 10 sheets).
So where do you get the good stuff for the general public?

just contacted Medite to get a list of suppliers in my area and they only deliver to industrial units and above £500 (more than 10 sheets).
So where do you get the good stuff for the general public?
Arnold Lavers have no minimum, Timbmet might make you set up an account.
Have you tried Jewsons or buildbase etc ?

Ollie

We use quite a lot of mdf for bespoke painted kitchens/furniture etc and over the last 12 months have switched to hidrofugo but to be honest the jury is out on its benefits
When its good its very good but random packs thicknesses
will for painting purposes be worse than cheap mdf
As a rule painting policy is 2 good coats of water based renner primer at their recommended rate followed by 320 denib followed by 1 topcoat
On good boards this gives a flawless finish on bad ones the topcoat raises the grain through the primer
On good hidrifugo you can actually topcoat on top of one coat of primer without denibbing to give a semi reasonable finish no grain raise
Its the inconsistency that annoys us

On a different note and one which we havent as yet got an answer to
Why is medite and hidrofugo the same colour ie sandwich core for 25/22/18/9mm but also available/supplied as completely green in the thinner boards
Personally i believe there is a darkside to the mr mdf manufacture/supply chain that is being covered up
Why would you manufacture a “superior” board namely hidrofugo and make it visually identical to an “inferior” product namely medite with no identifier markings on the boards at all
Photo all hidrofugo 9/18/25 the 18mm is terrible quality as regards surface finish

Attachments

• FC3577FB-F768-4315-B1A9-63B03E100DDC.jpeg
    FC3577FB-F768-4315-B1A9-63B03E100DDC.jpeg
    4.3 MB · Views: 0
I have been using a London company MDF Direct, they offer full sheets and cut to size
They deliver over most of The UK in their own vans with their own drivers, order before 17:00 and get it next day, delivery is a bit steep at £25
but you can't fault the service or the range they offer

I have been using a London company MDF Direct, they offer full sheets and cut to size
They deliver over most of The UK in their own vans with their own drivers, order before 17:00 and get it next day, delivery is a bit steep at £25
but you can't fault the service or the range they offer

You need to shop around a bit mate, 18mm mrmdf is £70 +vat on there but only £43 +vat at Selco and I can get it cheaper than that at a local merchant.

I know they are not the cheapest, but they supply branded sheets, I have wasted way too many hours processing cheaper materials only to end up with sub-standard results so much MDF both non-MR and MR are little more than compressed cardboard.
Another reason I use them is that I don't always need or want a full sheet, also if I am on a tight deadline for a job, I can order in pieces cut to size from them. Like a lot of timber, I work on the principle you get what you pay for and charge your customer accordingly
You pays your money and you takes your chance!!

Back