So, What has santa brought you this christmas?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sawdustalley

Established Member
Reaction score
:lol:

Ok, time for some gloating people, what have you beer re-warded with - some very nice gifts i'm sure....

So, heres what I got woodworking-wise (So far):

- Kirschen Chisel Set
- Trend T5 Router
- Lovely Diamond wet-stone "whet?"
- Small Joseph Marples square to replace my old one which I lost (YEAH --ITS REALLY THAT SMALL!!)

A few items pending hopefully :( Have to wait till later.

HAPPY CHRISTMAS!

Well I have one of the new Axminster aprons, the LOML calls it my 'pinny' :oops:
The Stots Dovetail Master jig and a pair of matching cutters.
A smaller (1/8") round over cutter.
The Axminster Precision Combination Square Set and a marking knife :D
A set of 16 imperial Forstner bits :)

A selectin of Coffees from around the world 8)

I may need Alfs help with the 7 wood planes I have won on ebay :shock:

But the down side the outfeed table (chest freezer) has stopped working :evil:

Hi All,

I had a fantastic surprise from Santa. It all started when her in doors shouted up the stairs at 8am "Can you get me a screwdriver out of the workshop because the fuse has gone in the kettle" to which i replied "Whats wrong with the one in the drawer?" "I've looked but it's not there". Funny i thought i only used it last night. But what the heck so i shoved the old dressing gown on and popped out to the garden. Off went the alarm and the dozen padlocks (well not quite) and in i went.
That was when i saw the big red ribbon, and you could have knocked me over with a feather because under this ribbon was a Jet JBOS-5 Bobbin Sander.
I couldn't believe it. How the hell did she get that passed me. Then i found out that the dealer she had bought it off had delivered it last night while i was down the pub. Thanks babe.

I also got a random orbital sander. And i treated myself to a new Packard Bell laptop.

Merry Christmas to you all.

WOW :D

That might have been a nice surprise, did you drop a few hints before hand or was it complete fluke?

Oh yeah, and most importantly - Whats it like?

Nothing I got from my family has anything to do with woodworking. But what fantastic pressies they are - reflecting telescope - starpocket(little starchart gizmo) - travelling watercolour kit plus oodles more and some very good whiskies. But my pressie to myself was a Ferm biscuit jointer from screwfix and assorted biscuits, and I have to agree with all the comments it really is an excellent piece of kit.
So all in all I'm as happy as a pig in tish with santa - long may his beard curl. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I hope everyone feels the same with what they got.

Meggy Crimbo to all

Drew

I didn't get anything for woodwork either, unless you count a DAB radio so that I can pick up some decent radio stations whilst making sawdust :).

But it's my birthday in a fortnight :) (21 again :? ! Well, if I didn't exaggerate slightly I might not get served in the local pub :) ). I know HWMBO went off looking at some stalls on his own at a recent show and came back mumbling that he hadn't bought anything, despite the obvious extra bags he was carrying. So here's hoping that I'm still in with a chance 8) .

Yours

Gill (who luxuriated in having someone help with the washing up.)

Being old enough to have trained my family not to buy me what they think I might like I now do a pressie list (with catalogue no's from Axminster). As a result I don't get a load of stuff to fill my rubbish drawer.
They think things like a tool setting gauge,forstner bits, router table insert,
Magnifying headset(age does have it's downside too)and the other bits and pieces on my list are boring but I'm happy as a pig in ****
Hope everone else got what they wanted.

Hi James,

No really it was a complete surprise and i didn't actually drop any hints. But saying that she does take an intrest in what i do and when i am flicking through a new machinery catolouge i will often point out my wish list if i ever won the lottery. It's only a shame that i didn't get a Felder catalouge before Christmas. Now that really would have knocked my socks off.

Anyway back down to earth. Whats it like? Well at the moment i have only had a quick fiddle with it. But if it is anything like the Jet mortiser i have i am sure it will be very good. When i put it through its paces i will post a review.

I hope you all enjoy the rest of Crimbo

Mike.C

So then Dave, it's you who got me pinny?! :wink:

I was tortured in the extreme and only got to open my main pressie at 9.45. AT NIGHT!!! A whole day when I could have been using it too... I'm now the proud owner of an L-N #4 1/2 smoother. :D Pre-owned, I hasten to add (an "old tool" AND an L-N, how perfect is that?), and I practically rang up and ordered it myself so it wasn't a total surprise, but who cares? Not this happy neanderthal. :D Finally escaped to the workshop this afternoon and cleaned and sharpened it. Mmmmmmmm, nice. By gum, these L-Ns are addictive aren't they? Also got some camelia oil, 3 small funnels (yes, funnels. Jolly useful in the w'shop), Rob Cosman's hand cut dovetail video and a fascinating book on the history of the Oak tree in Britain. Gotta hand it to Santa eh? He knows his business. Non-woodworking gifts involved lots of chocs and alcohol. Marvellous. 8)

Cheers, Alf

Alf":3sks4w2b said:
So then Dave, it's you who got me pinny?! :wink:

Well I've been and checked and it's my pinny :D

I can recommend it, only have to be careful of hooking my glasses off with the crossover straps as I put it on :roll:

I forgot to mention that Santa kindly renewed my subscription to GWW. That should please Andy King, especially after I was critical of the magazine in "another place" earlier this year. I definitely enjoyed the second half of the year much more than the first half. The quality of production also increased significantly, so well done to all at GWW.

Yours

Gill

Must say, I got out into my workshop today to test it all out.

Chisels have thumbs up (yeah RIGHT up! :D )

T5 Router also seems good, I see what people mean when they say the simplicity does it justice.

Reviews of both these items will be appearing in 2004 - watch this space.

Funnily enough Alf, I got 3 small funnels to - I think SWMBO thinks I'm gonna use them in the domestic workshop more commonly known as the kitchen - no chance :lol:

My only tool was new screwdriver however, it's my birthday on Tuesday and I happen to now I've got a set of motice chisels.

Col

Excellent gloats all round.
Me? well no Xmas pressies so to speak but a Record #4 came on Christmas Eve post from my winning bid on e bay £11 with p&p, lovely
And also in the post was a letter and a gift off Tormek saying thanks for sending the guarantee and suggestion for improving the machine and the gift? A yellow plastic wallet with Tormek stamped on it hold a dozen or more sacthets of Alka Soft H,mm I thought you must put these in the water trough to look after the stone, but to my surprise when pulling one out they were finger plasters...very novel

A nice LN 60 1/2 block plane (well actually a late b'day pressie)! I can't stop playing with it - will have to put it to a real task soon. It is a lovely introduction to how a plane should work. I've never used anything like it. I left the 25 deg bevel as it was and haven't put a secondary bevel on it yet. Seems fine ...

And a Tite Mark marking gauge - another tool NOT made to a price. Everything about it ouzes quality. I even used it to open the wrapping paper on some christmas presents!

Sounds like everyone's done pretty well :p.

Have a good new year,

Cheers

Gidon

Santa managed to russle up a Digital Vernier Gauge, a Gents saw and a Stanley Bullnose plane (which was 2nd hand from Ray Illes).

I also got a couple of books on using Table Saws, as I am still nervous about using this beast of a Scheppach I've bought!

I got a new bin for the workshop - not really a present but a relative needed to get rid of it and it's kitchen bin sized rather than the paper basket sized one I have at the moment!

Anyway I need to clear a few weekends and go and finish off all the stuff in the workshop!!!!

A_L

santa brought me a thicknesser/planer (god knows how he got that one down the chimeny!) a axminster door making router bit set, a bosch XIO ,a set of fostner bits AND....... a DIY set made of choccy (hammer screw-driver, the lot! :D )

need to be a good boy this year (get loads of pressies again next crimbo)

looking forward to a 2004 full of wood working projects!

happy new year all (have a safe one)

Santa went to Isaac Lord and brought me a Skill Orca circular saw. I'm just finishing off making a mitre board (like the one in the Axminster cat, and as discussed in the budget mitre saw thread) so I can use it to help me finally make a bench for the garage. Then the greenhouse staging. And so on...... It feels very sturdy and nothing wobbles or flaps about, unlike some of the items I looked at in Homebase. Hopefully I'll be able to cut some straight lines now.......

I notice that it has no riving knife so I'll be interested to see if it has kickback or other kerf binding problems. If I find any I'll post up a review.

The absence of a riving knife was discussed in the GWW review. Perhaps Andy King can comment further.

Rgds

Noel

Latest posts

Back