So what do YOU wear?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodbloke

Established Member
Reaction score
Follwing on from this thread what do you wear in the 'shop to keep the frosticles at bay? For me this morning...(and I don't know how cold it is, but there's a nice layer of frost on the 'shop roof and the ice in the pond is about 1" thick) it's thermal vest, thick T shirt, sweat shirt, thick fleece and then a padded outdoor coat, not forgetting a fleece beanie. That usually keeps me warm enough to work with minimal heat, but I find that I have to come indoors to warm up my hands :( - Rob

I wear my expensive cycing leggings, I forget what they are made of but I am happy on a pushbike in minus 10c wearing them, same top layer and a fleece under a tank drivers suit. Cosy.
If you want real warm gear try and find a Nato tank suit with the thermal liner. They are made for sitting it a tin box all day on the plains of europe chasing Russians about. I tried one on, too warm.

I would think what you are wearing is about right, several light layers although the overcoat would come off If I was working with spinning blades of any sort.

Don't forget to keep the old napper warm and some form of insulation for the feet in the way of insoles or insulated boot soles.

I have a pair of Sure Trak boots from the States with a insulateed wedged sole (apparently wedges are back in vogue) never have cold feet when I wear them.

Bluekingfisher":28x6yr5t said:
Don't forget to keep the old napper warm and some form of insulation for the feet in the way of insoles or insulated boot soles.

I have a pair of Sure Trak boots from the States with a insulateed wedged sole (apparently wedges are back in vogue) never have cold feet when I wear them.
My 'shop floor is suspended anyway, so there's about 300mm of air 'twixt my feet and anything cold. The floor is 18mm ply with hardboard over the top (easy then to keep clean) so a cold floor has never really been an issue - Rob

Glad to hear it, I have a wooded floor too, kinder on the feet back and joints.

Kinda reminds me of an old joke from years ago (Les Dawson I think)

When we were kids, we were so poor, my mam used to buy a packet of polo mints when it was cold then breathe on us to keep us warm.................Jeez, it sounds just as bad all these years later.

I was going to suggest getting one of those portable light weight heaters with the light bulbs as the heat source. I guess even those would require a remortgage these days. Anyways if you find a cheap solution let us all know.

Best

Yeah - the floor! mine is bare concrete - very cold, but recently i put down a bit of left over underfelt, this made an amazing difference. mostly to my joint in the legs and back, but also keeps the toes a bit warmer too! i like the idea of a tank suit! sounds cool or is that warm?

The tank suit may be fine if you just want to stand in the corner admiring your shop or perhaps a little vertical painting. I wouldn't want to be doing much more, it would be like wading through treacle!

I'm building the workshop outside right now - which sucks - but finding my Projob dungarees (with padded knees - nice), beanie and cycling gloves are doing the business. Like the cycling gloves because they do keep your hands pretty warm but you can still use your fingers reasonably. Still, not too happy about the entire situation.

Thermal t-shirt, jeans and boots - but I don't really feel the cold that much when there's no wind or damp, and I work in an integral garage, so some of the heat from the house probably leaks into it.

Every now and again my girlfriend comes out to see me, wrapped up in jumper and blanket and tries to convince me that just because I can see my breath in front of me means I should come back inside...

(That said, the last couple of days has been all table-saw-setup and tidying, so I've not actually got much done in the cold...)

Just normal wear, plus a 30 year old 'sloppy-joe' sweater. No gloves, me dad's old cap (Slightly small) and if it's really cold, walking socks and a secret I don't want to share, ( :mrgreen: Work it out fellas! :mrgreen: ) to keep my legs warm.

My pet hate in this cold weather is having to carry a big pack of tissues, because of the runny nose problems when I need the doors open! :D

Bluekingfisher":808jw7wh said:
Glad to hear it, I have a wooded floor too, kinder on the feet back and joints.

Kinda reminds me of an old joke from years ago (Les Dawson I think)

When we were kids, we were so poor, my mam used to buy a packet of polo mints when it was cold then breathe on us to keep us warm.................Jeez, it sounds just as bad all these years later.

I was going to suggest getting one of those portable light weight heaters with the light bulbs as the heat source. I guess even those would require a remortgage these days. Anyways if you find a cheap solution let us all know.

Best

Stick a light-bulb in a 'batten' light-holder, (The kind they use to screw onto a ceiling batten) Put the light-holder into an old paraffin heater, (Remove the fuel tank and wick assembly of course!) under the heater's chimney. Same result as if you had the wick alight. :wink:

I`m with jonzjob on this, it`s minus seven here, (Limousin central France) and slightly warmer than yesterday when the windchill dropped it to about minus eighteen. Far too cold to work and the Velux window I bought on Monday will stay in it`s box for a few weeks more!

Dex

Tights - well known in the building trade! :)
I've been doing a few hours at a time in my relatively uninsulated double garage with a flat roof and large metal door.
The door faces south and with all the sunshine we have been having its been reasonably pleasant inside.
However vest, thick rugby shirt, fleece and quilted gillette. I wear thick soled safety boots and my concrete floor is covered in rubber mats.

Rod

Benchwayze":3fe18m5v said:
:mrgreen: Work it out fellas! :mrgreen: .... to keep my legs warm.
You mean 'Long Johns' John :lol: like the two pairs I've got upstairs but couldn't be ar$ed to put on this morning :lol: - Rob

Well, more like 'Long-Jean's' Rob; ( SWIMBO's real name!) Tights, as Harbo guessed!
Well-known in the Motor-cycling world too Harbo!
Well at least I used them in the dark, dark days of the 60s, when we didn't put our 'steeds' away for the winter! 8) :D

Back