So what do YOU wear?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bluekingfisher":3nwp9nqm said:
I was going to suggest getting one of those portable light weight heaters with the light bulbs as the heat source. I guess even those would require a remortgage these days.

I have one of these and it gives out instant heat. I only paid £9.99 for it and I read somewhere that on the highest of the three settings (1200w) it only costs 15 pence an hour to run.

Thermal lined trousers and fleece jacket with boiler suit over the top, plus gloves and fleece hat. But that was because of needing to be in and out of workshop and handling metal objects outside. And it was bright sunshine here today (lovely PV weather!) but only just got above zero middle daytime.
Most of the time in the workshop, which is highly insulated and part of the house, a quick blast with the fan heater is enough for working with wood, without the boiler suit. But it's working with any bare metal that is the killer - fingers go dead in no time. Anyone got any good ideas for that? Gloves are a no-no with anything rotating, and with hand tools, it's pretty clumsy.

I know the feeling Dick; or the numbness that is. In my first workshop.

However, since I set up in this garage, I don't have the problem. I have an up and over metal door. It takes up a lot of overhead space, and makes access to shelves awkward, but it faces due South, as someone else mentioned earlier. So it collects the heat on days like today; cold but with bright sunlight all day. I even had the door open today!

The ambient temperature in my shop is good on most winter days, and only when it's cold and dull is there a problem with cold machine tables and planes! But I still wear my winter woolies! :lol:

For the last 3 weeks i`ve been working for another forum member & even though it was -6 outside I`ve been in a T-shirt all day....these flash so & so`s with under floor heating in their workshop :shock: :shock: :shock:

Mind you after a couple of trips to the van, the last thing on my mind was complaining about the workshop temp :lol: :lol:

Have to take my fleece off when I start doing much in the workshop as I warm up pretty quickly when I get started !

There's two oil filled rads, insulation on the up and over doors, double glazing, and mats on the floor. If I'm not too active in there I'll stick the fan heater on for a quick heat top up if really needed.

Don't like to look at the leccie bill mind you :shock: but can't have all the toys getting cold and rusty :lol:

Cheers, Paul

Damn cold in my shop most days! I wear thermal vest, 'T' shirt, sweat shirt, padded jacket and padded guillet. Thermal long johns and jeans. I have a pair of riggers boots with two pair of socks one of those are hiking socks. Oh and a pair of fingerless gloves, still damn cold though and my fingers still go numb at the ends. I have the propane heater in the shop but don't use it often as it's too expensive. Small electric heater in the office helps a little. I need a woodburner! :cry:

mascot thermal undershirt, and the matching long johns, cotton drill work trousers, brushed cotton shirt, close fitting but not tight pullover and cotton drill work jacket. And a pair of safety trainers....NO gloves...cant be doing with things over my hands......

plenty warm enough even at -6. but then I'm somewhat impervious to cold anyhow....Its hot weather that bug...s me.

I can remember being told as a lad...if you are cold...you aint working hard enough.....

kinsella":1aetgas9 said:
High heels and suspenders..............ooooops wrong web page, rubbish how do i delete this.............

:wink:

Envy.... Just 'cos I still got the legs for 'em! :mrgreen: :D :D :D

My preferred apron has been packed away - boiler suits are great.

Then, thermal long johns, top & bottom, normal work trousers, shirt, sweater, body warmer, boiler suit and one of those Peruvian style woolly hats. Does the job, even though my workshop is unheated. Untroubled by cold feet despite concrete floor.

The work helps though, I'm making a trad. French bed in oak, so lots of mauling heavy timbers about. Also sieze every excuse to use a handsaw or plane. I even got a sweat on yesterday!

-12 two nights running, warmest yesterday was -6 in the midday sun and workshop hovering around the zero mark. Glueing is going to be a problem though....

Yes Sawyer,

You make a good point. A bit of hand-saw work or heavy planing helps.
Gluing up is no problem for me. I just do it indoors when I can. But a big bed? Hmmm... I should think even my SWIMBO's tolerance would be stretched!
Temperature was low yesterday, but plenty of sunlight, warmed my shop nicely, until about 4.30pm!.
Good luck with the bed! :D

Sounds like you're somewhere near Auriac Sawer :shock: :shock: Only got down to -6ºC here and whatever I wear I ain't going back into my workshop till it gets at least ++++++s

I do have a small fan heater in there, but it ain't going to see me today me-thinks.

6 Nations start this afternoon, so that's a good enough excuse for me to sit in front of the fire

291.jpg

I'm in the Berry, John: quite a way north from Carcassonnne. Interesting-looking fireside chair, by the way.

Minus 8 here at lunchtime and looking at the forecast for the next week It`ll be well below 0 every day till next weekend. fortunately I`hm off to the UK on Thursday so I`ll bask in their tropical climate.
Funny, but everyone here has just got on with life, theres no media hype predicting the next ice age and trying to scare the c*ap out of the population, dont you just love the BBC.

Dex

It's a thermal long-johns and t-shirt combo for me, under fleece lined trousers and a sweat shirt, all topped off with a quilted boiler suit. Thick walking socks and boots keep my feet toasty, and the obligatory wooly hat keeps my bonce ice-free.

But if I actually go out into the workshop I put some warm clothes on too! :shock: Thermometer in the 'shop showed -1C this morning, but I think the mercury was frozen...

Never tried tights, but might give them a go (more of a stockings and suspenders man myself :D )

Bob

a t-shirt and my zeal for Queen and Country are all I need to keep warm*

Aidan

*two jumpers, baseball cap and a hoody top, looking like a chav covered in teak dust.

Back