So tried something different - Failed

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sammo

Established Member
Reaction score
So there I was turning a spalted Maple bowl - only to discover one area to be very very soft - so soft in fact it "fell out" - not to worry I thought - I wanted to try using some Epoxy and perhaps some metal - something shiny i thought....

Well I had this great idea - how about using glitter, you know the stuff, it's available in hobby craft - cheap as chips....

Who knew it is as hard as nails - my bowl gouge only had to look at it before it blunted - in fact it took the edge off to such a degree that my normal practice of touch up on the Tormek was not good enough and for the sake of speed I had to use the grinder.

I did get a finish (of sorts) on the outside, reverted to sheer-scraping and carbide cutters, and it sort of polished out (sort of) but as soon as I got to the inner layer blunt tools again - and frankly to much effort...

Plan B - Wondering if i can 'cut out' the epoxy and use a more traditional filling - perhaps some simple colour before venturing into the realms of metal......

Of well back to hollowing out my second attempt at a vase!!!!

Catch up soon.

I made a similar mistake trying to use epoxy repair putty (the stuff you get in plastic cylinders and cut into slices before kneading together) to fill some rot on a vase. This bloody stuff was like hitting a nail. It took a chunk out of the cutting edge of my gouge.

Now with photos...

So I am now considering getting the epoxy and glitter out - think I can do this without to much bother (brut force and stupidity often works) - but what to fill the hole with - ideas welcomed; thinking of using paint (acrylic or oil based paints - daughter is a graphic designer so have access to materials!) mixed with epoxy or perhaps ordering some metal powder (not sure where yet!) and going down that route - which in effect was my original thoughts.

The bowl is for my Niece who is only 12, and wanted something to sit on her chest of drawers to keep her 'bits in' - so the 'glitter' finish would have been the perfect combination of natural and some

Attachments

• Glitter Fill Fail 1.jpg
    Glitter Fill Fail 1.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 802
  • Glitter Fill Fail 2.jpg
    Glitter Fill Fail 2.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 793
  • Glitter Fill Fail 3.jpg
    Glitter Fill Fail 3.jpg
    156.7 KB · Views: 793
  • Glitter Fill Fail 4.jpg
    Glitter Fill Fail 4.jpg
    141.9 KB · Views: 793
Hi

Can't comment on the hardness of the filler but when using epoxy to fill voids I find it responds better to a scraper than a gouge.

Regards Mick

Hi Mick - the actual epoxy responds fairly well to being cut - it's the metal bits in the glitter that are causing all the problems - they are much harder than I though they would be.

I use metal powders for filling but do it with CA glue not epoxy as I get a much better metallic finish. Brass, bronze, copper and aluminium all turn well and are available from here. If you are filling a deep cavity then part fill with wood dust first to save the metal powder.

Pete

Pete - thanks for the link. I assume when using CA - you fill the cavity with the metal powder first, then 'pour' the CA over the top letting it permeate through.
Think in this case I will simply colour the epoxy and see what I get - I think that the cracks that have appeared below the glitter will may put this bowl in the 'wood burning' pile!!!!

Let's see.

Yes, Doing it that way I end up with what looks like solid metal streaks, inserts etc. (see attachment) I found that using it mixed with epoxy ended up looking dull and plasticy.
Pete
oak brass walnut finial 2.jpg

Attachments

• oak brass walnut finial 2.jpg
    oak brass walnut finial 2.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 760
Back