So this Dovetailing business?...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
By eye, with/without dividers, sliding bevels etc. Not by machine - they hadn't been invented
We are talking about hand cut DTs.
The first DTs would be prehistoric - it's a simple and highly functional joint, not a recent 18C discovery!
......awaits proof.

@TRITON There are plenty of examples of items made as far back as the 3rd Dynasty in ancient Egypt that are wood and have dovetails. In fact Irving Finkel one of the curators at the Natural History Museum has shown a games box for the "Royal Game of Ur" played by the Sumerian from around 6K BCE, which has dovetails

@TRITON There are plenty of examples of items made as far back as the 3rd Dynasty in ancient Egypt that are wood and have dovetails. In fact Irving Finkel one of the curators at the Natural History Museum has shown a games box for the "Royal Game of Ur" played by the Sumerian from around 6K BCE, which has dovetails
I bet there are stone age examples with crude DTs holding slate flags together.

Thats masonry Jacob. You need to show the evidence in cabinet making.
This is shocking, because twice on the same day I've found myself in agreement with Jacob. If I'm not careful I could find myself in a mutually admiring tryst with the man, which just isn't on.

He is correct, dovetails in wooden artefacts have been around for millennia. I can't quickly find many pictorial example of Egyptian dovetails via Aunty Google, but here's a link to one. Here's another link. My hazy recollection is that Egyptian dovetails tended to favour wide pins and slender tails, the reverse of contemporary preferences. Slainte.

This is shocking, because twice on the same day I've found myself in agreement with Jacob. If I'm not careful I could find myself in a mutually admiring tryst with the man, which just isn't on.
No you'd have to learn a sense of humour first! Less "arch", more wit. :ROFLMAO:
I googled "sarcastic scotsman" and it brings up pages, it's obviously a phenomenon!

Screenshot 2022-02-08 at 19.59.27.png

He is correct, dovetails in wooden artefacts have been around for millennia. I can't quickly find many pictorial example of Egyptian dovetails via Aunty Google, but here's a link to one. Here's another link. My hazy recollection is that Egyptian dovetails tended to favour wide pins and slender tails, the reverse of contemporary preferences. Slainte.
I know he's correct. It's a little troll by myself, with some good natured feeling behind it. Once you get absorbed enough into the subject to toddle off and do college on this, you research these thing. So im well aware of the origins.

But you know Jacob, he loves to get his teeth into such things and nip off for some intensive googling to prove himself right. And it keeps him busy ;)

But you know Jacob, he loves to get his teeth into such things and nip off for some intensive googling to prove himself right. And it keeps him busy ;)
True I do like a bit of intensive googling, not "to prove myself right" but to find out the facts! Everybody should try it!
Quite happy to be proved wrong, it does happen; was it 2005 perhaps? Can't remember the details!

No you'd have to learn a sense of humour first! Less "arch", more wit.
Ah! The first signs of admiration fulsomely demonstrated. I'll be floating on a cloud of exultant joy for the whole of today. Now, where is my 'humour' switch, ha, ha. Slainte.

True I do like a bit of intensive googling, not "to prove myself right" but to find out the facts! Everybody should try it!
Quite happy to be proved wrong, it does happen; was it 2005 perhaps? Can't remember the details!
That wasnt meant in any negative way J, more tongue in cheek. ;)

Latest posts

Back