So Sorry...Table Saws...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jameslee30

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello all. Im looking for a new table saw at the moment but am having real difficulty deciding. I have searched through the forums and read a lot of threads but have still come to no conclusion. I have been looking at new ones as i could do with it fairly soon (ripping lots on my little bandsaw gets quite tedious).

So...i think i have narrowed it down to these ones:

Axminster 10"
http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-ax ... rod838695/

Jet JTS-600
http://www.axminster.co.uk/jet-jet-jts- ... rod791242/

Charnwood W650
http://www.kendaltools.co.uk/cgi-bin/tr ... wprod_W650

I have read some good reviews about all of these saws which is getting me totally confused as to what to go for. Im hoping that this machine will last me quite a while, including taking me to hopefully full time working for myself in a few years.

Id like to be able to cut sheet material without too much hassle but unfortunately space isnt unlimited. Basically im planning on keeping the saw up against a wall when just ripping but pulling out into the centre of the workshop when using the sliding table and cutting sheets.

Any Help would be massively appreciated as i am giving myself a bit of a headache trying to decide.

Also if anyone is near to sheffield or north derbyshire and has any of these saws and wouldnt mind me having a look at yours that would be really appreiciated!

Many thanks for any help i receive, James.

Anyone? I know this topic has been dicussed to death, hence i am so sorry, but i have read through all the threads from the past and still cant make a decision. Please help im very indecisive!

James

Take your pick out of the Axi or Charnwood they are virtually identical. Can not see what extra the Jet offers for the increased price.

Harry

Oh right ok, What are the sliding tables like on them? The sliding table is what was attracting me to the jet, as it also looks simple to take off on the pictures.

Does the table remove easily on the axi and charnwood? (or for the jet for actually?)

Poz for the Axi - ability to rip wider material on the RH table

Neg for the Axi - sliding table is cast iron and is pretty heavy, you wont want to left it on/off too many times, it's do-able but it'll do your nut in after a while, I have the 12" version of this one, and although I'm very happy with it had to do a few mods to suit my needs, extended the sliding table width, fitted table lock and I remove the fence rather than taking off the sliding bed.

Poz for the Jet - sliding table system on this one is much better, and this saw has a higher rating than the axi

Hi shane. yes i read through your review of the axi and made a mental note of those mods. Hmm, the heaviness of the sliding table may well put me off it.

I dont think i will need to rip more than 640mm very often (i think this is what is quoted for the jet inc the fence), and on the rare occasions i might need to do this i could always set up a handheld circular.

I did see the jet had a higher rating, is it a good improvement over light trade? And have you seen one in the flesh? all the suppliers of these machines are down south!!

Thanks for your help :)

I can't recall the exact figures but the difference between light trade and trade rating as described in the axi catalogue is purely down to number of recommended hours of work per year. The 12" version was previously listed as trade rated, but this year has been downgraded to light trade. I don't have first hand experience of the Jet so can't comment on that one I'm afraid, even so if I were you I think I'd be edging towards the Jet, I cant remember them getting bad reviews generally.

If you go to the axi website they have a downloadable catalogue, their trade rating descriptions are listed a few pages down

Hi - I don't know any of the saws you're looking at but if I was spending near on a grand on a saw I'd want to go see it first set up and preferably working

if I was spending a grand on anything i'd want to go see it first!

see if you can find a localish show room or someone using one and get up close and personal with it - to spend that much based on other peoples opinions is dodgy as they are different to you and so value different things

the threads are good to help you narrow your search but after that - go and have a look

and after that it's still a bit of a leap of faith!!

good luck - oh and pictures once you've got one!!

Shane - thanks for that i shall go and have a check of the ratings then.

Stoatyboy - Yeah i completely agree with you. The only issue is i genuinely cant seem to find anyone local to me. I was kind of hoping someone on here may have the jet that lived close to me and was kind enough to let me look at theirs. Trust me im not one that can spend a grand easily, hence im trying to gather as much information as possible.

Once im sorted and got the shop a bit tidier il be sure to take some photos dont worry!

Cheers, james.

Hi James, I've got a Jet jts-600. Live near oldham, you're welcome to come and see it. It's a great panel saw. Mine is less than 9 months old and it's for sale..... (just moved workshop and haven't the room) Get in touch!

Hi James just got your PM. I'm really new on this forum and it won't let me reply yet! Click my email button and re-send. I will be back this eve. Andy

harryc":1g9rcx3z said:
Take your pick out of the Axi or Charnwood they are virtually identical. Can not see what extra the Jet offers for the increased price.

Harry
Wrong. The sliding tables on each saw are totally different and the Ax has mitre slots whereas the W650 doesn't. The W650 has a smaller footprint but merits a 10" blade, decent fence and fair ripping capacities for the smaller shop, plus it's much lighter on a suspended floor.

I shall be ordering the W650 shortly as it suits my needs better than the Ax or Jet (which has a much bigger footprint due to the outrigger table) - Rob

I hope you have better luck with Charnwood than I ever have - Had several of their tools over the years - All have let me down - the last being a large dust extractor. Their back up service for warranty issues is the worst I have ever experienced.

Sorry but I would NEVER buy anything from Charnwood again.

At least with Jet or Axi you know that they will sort things out if there is an issue.

Rog

I have the Ax 10" BSB2 with all the sliding gear. I wouldn't say the sliding table is that heavy or to awkward to get on. But I will say its a pipper to set up and get true. Once done its fine. I have got fed up of removing the stop everything the sliding table needs to be removed so i now just push the rubber ring on which seems to be enough to stop the tables sliding off the rail. The levers that tighten the rail the table slides on are useless and break to easy. I used my own bolts. Same with the mitre fence on the sliding table. This would just move from the set angle due to the plastic lever just braking inside. To fix I used a solid bolt with an hex head, works great now.

Couldn't recommend the saw more. I haven't used the other two though.

Can't give an opinion from personal experience on any of the 3, however..........the charnwood looks to have the exact same sliding table as found on the much smaller axi TS200. As an owner of the TS200 I can safely say that the sliding table was a PITA. it was a puppy to set up and if you remove it (to rip) and then put it back on you need to set it up all over again. It's not a simple adjustment either, a stud with an off centre pin that adjusted by loosening an allen screw adjusting then tightening again, testing and then swearing alot, loosening, moving, tightening testing, swearing, kicking the cat, throwing the allen wrench etc etc.
Once all the teddies had been returned to the cot i also found that repeatable cuts were unfortunately very rare, i think this may have been because of a slight flex in the ali extrusion beam.
i've now done away with sliding table and use a cross cut sled
Just my 2 penneth worth but something you may want to consider.

Vinny

Vinny":2ussle9j said:
Can't give an opinion from personal experience on any of the 3, however..........the charnwood looks to have the exact same sliding table as found on the much smaller axi TS200. As an owner of the TS200 I can safely say that the sliding table was a PITA. it was a puppy to set up and if you remove it (to rip) and then put it back on you need to set it up all over again. It's not a simple adjustment either, a stud with an off centre pin that adjusted by loosening an allen screw adjusting then tightening again, testing and then swearing alot, loosening, moving, tightening testing, swearing, kicking the cat, throwing the allen wrench etc etc.
Once all the teddies had been returned to the cot i also found that repeatable cuts were unfortunately very rare, i think this may have been because of a slight flex in the ali extrusion beam.
i've now done away with sliding table and use a cross cut sled
Just my 2 penneth worth but something you may want to consider.

Vinny
V, I had a good close up eyeball at the W650 last year at Yandles and it's streets ahead of the usual sort of stuff they make, which can be a bit Fischer P. The slider is essentially the same as the K419 and the Ax TS200, but the mounting mechanism underneath (where the slider fixes to the main part of the saw) is much more substantial and very easy to adjust. I'd add that the set up for the slider on my old K419 was equally as bad, being just a couple flimsy 'U' section sticky out brackets that were fixed either side of the main case of the saw...the slider was then bolted to the top of it. Once it was set up though, I found it pretty accurate, but it did need to be set each time for really accurate repeat cross-cuts - Rob

So i went for the Jet in the end. Got it nearly new from a forum member and am so far very pleased with it. Iv not had time to put it to proper use yet but once i have i shall try and get a review done for if anyone considers buying one in the future.

Next stop..Spindle moulder.

Cheers for all your help. James.

Back