So Many choices, which one to buy?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

srs

Established Member
Reaction score
Well I guess that we are in the season of giving and receiving for Christmas I received…… well to be honest I received sod all in material goods but I did get £500 towards a lathe which along with the pennies I have saved up already to cover the tool and chuck’s etc means there is going to be a January spending spree in one lucky shop. And this is where the question lay’s what to buy I’ve had a trawl through the internet and come up with a couple of possible’s (thought I’m always open to suggestion)

1. Record CL3 http://www.dm-tools.co.uk/product.php?sn=RPWCL3X36AVWINTER

2. Jet JWL-1236 http://www.axminster.co.uk/recno/11/product-Jet-JWL-1236-Wood-Lathe-365335.htm

3. Axminster M950 http://www.axminster.co.uk/recno/12/product-Axminster-M950-Variable-Speed-Lathe-21284.htm

So Any thoughts, suggestions, or other wise words?

Cheers for any assistance

Simon.

My Axminster has given over two years of daily use doing some jobs that would have the designers grinding their teeth!
No problems. No breakdowns and only used three drive belts in that time.
Speed change is a dream.

Hi Simon
I've used number 1 and 3 in your list... both good options but No 3 is easier/quicker to change speeds.

It's always best if you can try before you buy... most Record dealers will have a display model... Contact your local woodturning club there's agood chance that one of their members has one and might let you try it out.

Don't forget to budget for a chuck... there's plenty of comment on the relative merits of the various option ... just do a search on this site.

Beware the 'shiny tool' syndrome buy only what you need when it comes to tools, again plenty of comment on this site.

Consider a course.. even if it's half a day it will save you hours of frustration if you haven't turned before.
graham

My Axminster M950 will be up for sale, open to reasonable offers, was going to put it on ebay, but thought I might offer it in house first.

hi there srs, I got myself the record cl36 in september of this year,they had a very good winter deal going, there back up looks good also.
On the record web site you can get answers to any problem that you might havehttp://www.recordpower.co.uk/index.pl?p=CL3&a=i
just click on "the knowledge" and you will see all kinds of questions/answers.
Good luck what ever you get, and have a good 2006....

Here`s a photo of my CL2 that I have had for ten years now. Excellent machine, no regrets ever buying it. You can also upgrade this machine to variable speed at a later date as I have. The photo shows the fitting of my new spindle copying attachment I bought earlier this year.
LatheDuplicator.jpg

Woodbuther1, La Truciolara, The workshop is so clean because I took the photos after I had finished insulating my small 6 x 4 foot garden shed, and installed the lathe, so I had`nt done any woodturning in there yet. The shed used to be my workshop years ago, did`t have any machines, every thing was done with hand tools only, even ripping down 2 1/2 thick hardwood boards with a hand rip saw. Those were the days, :? The lathe duplicator was purchased from. www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=6579 The price has gone up $19 since I got mine, made in the far east, but well made and worth the money.

To be brutally honest, I wouldn't buy another Axminster M950. For what it is ie cheapo chinese imports, I think it is overpriced. If you look at all the clones of this type you will see that they are all the same. One of the hallmarks seems to be that the motor mounts on the side of the headstock and just out beyond the spindle and effectively prevents you from using other brand faceplates if the blank is more than about 8" diameter.
I wasn't very impressed with the overall quality.
Don't get me wrong, it works fine, it's just that you can get the same thing a lot cheaper elsewhere.

Back