So it has begun!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Duiker

Established Member
Reaction score
Since finding this site I have been a busy boy! I've managed, with the help from people here and locally, to work out how the chucks work (four different types and counting) and I've started to turn!

I began making things between centres and with a project set by my club (RADIUS) I practiced turning beads and coves as well as all manner of other shapes. I quickly learned which chisels bite in and what does which job (HOW DO YOU USE A gouge WITHOUT DESTROYING WOOD?!!).
After a few attempts I made a reasonable job and decided (now I had figured out the combination chuck) to try my hand at a bowl.

Yesterday I made two bowls (cherry and beech) which came out really well. I was so pleased and my wife thinks I am a genius! A "natural" she said :oops: (still cant use the ring tools though as they bite in really bad despite most people seem to think they don't?)

Flushed with success I went out and tried the second project from the club. A captive ring rattle. Despite breaking one ring during sanding of the inside I made one with three rings and finished it off with wax. It looks cool although big and clumsy as a first attempt.

The point of this is not to show off but to say I am definitely hooked on one of the most satisfying hobbies I have ever found!! Thanks for the support all and for being patient with my "newbie" questions!

I'll get some photo's and post them tomorrow. :p

Sounds like you are a natural :D I have only managed spindles so far and can't drum up the confidence to try a bowl yet :oops:

Looking forward to the pictures :)

Give it a go Tony, I found bowls less scary than spindles! Turned it slowly to begin with and just took my time. Not a natural, just lucky to have the right tools I think?

Back